Kenan Thompson and Kel Mitchell, stars of the wildly popular Nickelodeon cable show Kenan & Kel, have it their way in their big-screen debut, a fresh, funny, super-sized kid's comedy that may even have a few grown-ups cracking smiles. After smashing into the brand-new car of his least-favorite teacher (Sinbad) on the last day of school, Dexter Reed (Thompson) must face the unthinkable: getting a summer job. He lands one at Good Burger, a small-time fast-food joint whose future is threatened by the grand opening of the nefarious Mondo
Burger, a high-tech emporium that pushes enormous, chemically enhanced "booty burgers." The underdog makes a surprising comeback, however, when Ed (Kel Mitchell), Good Burger's dim-witted but golden-hearted counterperson, develops a tasty special sauce, whose recipe Mondo Burger's evil head honcho
(Jan Schwieterman) will do just about anything to get his hands on. OK, so the film's recipe isn't so secret: a generous helping of BILL & TED mixed with several pounds of WAYNE'S WORLD. But Kenan and Kel share a wonderful comic chemistry that has a lot in common with the anarchic goofiness of
Abbott and Costello or Martin and Lewis, leavened with a good deal more mutual affection. A lot of food gets thrown around, George Clinton dances the Monkey, the climax features a huge explosion of ground chuck, and it's all tied up with a solid "nice guys don't always finish last" moral.
What's not to like?
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Single Parents Enjoy a Summer of Freedom in Exclusive Season 2 Photo
- 2. 8 Things We Hope to See in Legacies Season 2
- 3. At Least the 2019 Emmys Ended on Time
- 4. The El Camino Teaser Just Confirmed Walter White's Death on Breaking Bad
- 5. The Unicorn's Walton Goggins Revisits His Most Memorable Roles, From The Shield to Sons of Anarchy
- 6. The Worst Moments of the 2019 Emmy Awards
- 7. Emmys 2019 Winners List: Game of Thrones, Fleabag Take Top Awards