A must-see, if only once. More notable as a document of its times than as a piece of cinema, EASY RIDER is slack but powerful, sentimental yet scathing, experimental but predictable.
A tale of two men searching for a freedom they can never attain, the film features Fonda and Hopper as Wyatt and Billy, a pair of hippie bikers who journey to New Orleans, hoping to arrive in time for Mardi Gras. On the way, the duo encounter rebuffs at various motels because of their way-out
appearance, a hitchhiker who takes them back to the sun-drenched revels of his commune, and a squeaky-clean Texas parade. Arrested for joining the latter, the pair meets up with drunken civil-rights lawyer George Hanson (Jack Nicholson, enjoying the film's most well-rounded part and giving its
best performance, one which earned him an Oscar nomination and finally made him a star). Now a trio, the men suffer beatings from local rednecks, but Hanson also gets to enjoy his first joint, which prompts one of the film's most memorable moments--Hanson's tongue-in-cheek theory that Venusians
have already landed on Earth and occupy several important posts. Billy and Wyatt finally make it to New Orleans and find that their journey to the freewheeling world of Fat Tuesday (including an LSD-laced jaunt to a cemetery) has not brought them any happiness or sense of direction. The animosity
the pair have dealt with throughout reaches its peak at the film's famous ending, as the film attempts to martyr its quasi-religious antiheroes.
A finely observed film but insufficiently developed as a satire of middle America, EASY RIDER seemed the paragon of hip rebellion at the time of its release; in retrospect, its worldview seems closer to whining self-pity.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Survivor Producers Address Contestant's Sexual Harassment In Unprecedented Episode
- 2. Brace Yourself for Arrow Stars' Touching Photos From Last Days on Set
- 3. The Masked Singer's Ladybug Says the Lindsay Lohan Shade Was Just to Throw People Off
- 4. The Masked Singer Reveals Ladybug Is an O.G. Reality Star
- 5. 3 Theories About Who's Actually Dead on How to Get Away With Murder Season 6
- 6. What to Stream the Weekend of Nov. 15
- 7. The Ultimate Holiday Viewing Guide for 2019