A chilling and realistic crime film, AT CLOSE RANGE features strong performances by Christopher Walken and Sean Penn. The film follows fresh-out-of-high-school Brad Whitewood, Jr. (Penn), as he struggles against the boredom of his rural existence. Living in a run-down house with his
half-brother, Tommy (Christopher Penn, Sean's brother), his grandmother (Eileen Ryan, the Penn boys' mother), and his mother (Millie Perkins), Brad coasts along until two events change his life forever: he falls in love with Terry (Mary Stuart Masterson), and his wayward father (Walken) wanders
back on the scene.
Relentlessly grim, AT CLOSE RANGE offers a frightening glimpse at the dark side of American life and poses disturbing questions about family ties. Unfortunately, although director James Foley handles the performances with skill, he also indulges in too many flashy directorial pyrotechnics, muting
the emotional impact. Writer Nicholas Kazan (son of director Elia) based his script on the Johnston family murders in Pennsylvania in 1978.
Ranking Big Bang Theory's Guest Stars
From Stan Lee to Leonard Nimoy, check out the greatest cameos on the CBS sitcom
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. 6 Suggestions for What Chris Hemsworth Should Do Next in His Career
- 2. Mark-Paul Gosselaar Already Has a New Role After The Passage Cancellation
- 3. What's Coming to Amazon in July
- 4. The Rain Renewed at Netflix for Third and Final Season
- 5. Dark Season 2 Review: Still Great, but We Can't Say Why Without Netflix Killing Us
- 6. Game of Thrones Almost Gave Fans a Direwolf-Dragon Battle in Season 8
- 7. Julie Andrews Is Basically Playing Gossip Girl in Shonda Rhimes' New Netflix Show