A chilling and realistic crime film, AT CLOSE RANGE features strong performances by Christopher Walken and Sean Penn. The film follows fresh-out-of-high-school Brad Whitewood, Jr. (Penn), as he struggles against the boredom of his rural existence. Living in a run-down house with his
half-brother, Tommy (Christopher Penn, Sean's brother), his grandmother (Eileen Ryan, the Penn boys' mother), and his mother (Millie Perkins), Brad coasts along until two events change his life forever: he falls in love with Terry (Mary Stuart Masterson), and his wayward father (Walken) wanders
back on the scene.
Relentlessly grim, AT CLOSE RANGE offers a frightening glimpse at the dark side of American life and poses disturbing questions about family ties. Unfortunately, although director James Foley handles the performances with skill, he also indulges in too many flashy directorial pyrotechnics, muting
the emotional impact. Writer Nicholas Kazan (son of director Elia) based his script on the Johnston family murders in Pennsylvania in 1978.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Riverdale Casts Shannen Doherty for Special Tribute to Luke Perry
- 2. Gone Baby Gone! Supernatural Stars Give an Impala Away to Fan at San Diego Comic-Con
- 3. Big Brother Producer Addresses Bullying Accusations
- 4. Wax Nostalgic with These Cobra Kai Cast Portraits from San Diego Comic-Con
- 5. Watch the Veronica Mars Cast Struggle to Remember Who Said These Quotes
- 6. Who Is Shang-Chi? Meet the MCU's First Asian Superhero
- 7. Every Marvel Movie Expected to Come Out After 2021, Including Blade