- Originally intended to study journalism in college, but switched majors after auditioning for a student production of Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf on a bet and scoring the lead role.
- First major movie role was in 1977's Looking for Mr. Goodbar, where he portrayed a psychopathic murderer named Gary Cooper White.
- Dislikes the Hollywood scene and decided to move to Beaufort, SC, after shooting 1983's The Big Chill there.
- Played Don, a plumber who wins Kirstie Alley's heart in the final episodes of Cheers.
- In March 2011, was honored with a Career Achievement Award at the Gasparilla International Film Festival in Tampa.
- 2012, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie: Winner
- 1987, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 1993, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actor in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1986, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- Chloe Berenger — Daughter
- Patrick Berenger — Son
- Allison Berenger — Daughter
- Barbara Wilson — Ex-wife
- Chelsea Berenger — Daughter
- Shiloh Berenger — Daughter
- Lisa Williams — Ex-wife
- Patricia Alvaran — Wife
- Scout Riley Berenger — Daughter
- University of Missouri-Columbia, Colombia, Missouri, United States (BA in Speech and Dramatic Arts, 1971)
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. SNL's Game of Thrones Rap Tribute Turns into a Grace and Frankie Fan Flex
- 2. All the Funniest Game of Thrones Season 8 Memes and Tweets
- 3. How the Blacklist Finale Set Up a Stronger Season 7
- 4. The Blacklist Bosses Break Down the Shocking Reveals of the Season 6 Finale
- 5. Who Wants to Be a Millionaire Canceled After 17 Years in Syndication
- 6. Only Bill Hader Could Think Up Barry's Killer Kid Plot (And Make It Work)
- 7. HBO's His Dark Materials Trailer Is Already Giving Us the Adaptation We Deserve