The New York premiere of Sony's The Interview has been canceled amid terror threats, Varietyreports. Landmark's Sunshine Cinema in Manhattan decided to scrap the premiere, which was scheduled to take place Thursday, after the hacker group Guardians of Peace, the same collective behind the now infamous Sony hacks, released a statement through file-sharing services on Tuesday promising 9/11-type destruction to theaters that show The Interview when it debuts on Christmas Day.
The statement reads in part, "We will clearly show it to you at the very time and places The Interview be shown, including the premiere, how bitter fate those who seek fun in terror should be doomed to. Soon all the world will see what an awful movie Sony Pictures Entertainment has made."
Sony executives have said they're leaving it up to individual theater owners' discretion as to whether or not their theaters will show The Interview.
The decision to cancel the film's New York premiere comes in the wake of James Franco and Seth Rogen's announcement that they have canceled all media appearances to promote the film, as reported by Buzzfeed. The Interview premiered in Los Angeles last week, and Franco and Rogen attended but did not participate in interviews.
Los Angeles Police Department Chief Charlie Beck told City News Service Tuesday that his department is taking the threats "very seriously" ahead of the film's release. "We will take extra precautions during the holidays and at theaters. We're very aware of the controversy surrounding Sony studios so we'll take that into account. I won't get into the details of all of that, but suffice it to say we're aware of it and we'll take appropriate action."
Franco and Rogen were set for a number of appearances, including stops on Watch What Happens Live, Late Night with Seth Meyers, and The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.