Michael Che and Colin Jost took a break from their "Weekend Update" duties on Saturday Night Live to host the 70th Primetime Emmy Awards on Monday. The comedic duo took jabs at everyone from Roseanne Barr to Netflix during their opening monologue. While some jokes failed to land — raise your hand if you're still cringing after Che said The Handmaid's Tale was "Roots with bonnets" — the show opener also delivered a few knee-slappers like when Jost joked about an all-white reboot of Atlanta.
And the jokes weren't limited to the monologue; the show featured zingers from Sandra Oh, Kenan Thompson and more presenters. If you missed the ceremony and don't feel like wading through the awkward moments to get to the laughs, we've got you covered! Here are the best jokes from the Emmys:
- "It is an honor sharing this night with the many many talented and creative people in Hollywood who haven't been caught yet." -Michael Che
- "This year, the audience is allowed to drink in their seats. Because the one thing Hollywood needs right now is people losing their inhibitions at a work function." -Colin Jost
- "'Black-ish is nominated tonight. Black-ish is also how I've been asked to behave tonight. We'll see how that goes." -Michael Che
- "There's even more diversity coming to TV. There's gonna be a Latino Magnum P.I., a black Samantha in a reboot of Bewitched. But it's gonna get balanced out by an all-white reboot of Atlanta called 15 Miles Outside of Atlanta. It focuses on white women who call the police on the cast of Atlanta." -Colin Jost
- "There were several dramatic rescues for TV shows this summer. Brooklyn Nine-Nine was canceled by Fox but picked up by NBC. Last Man Standing was canceled by ABC and picked up by FOX. And Roseanne was canceled by herself but picked up by white nationalists." -Colin Jost
- "We're also celebrating the fact that this year's Emmy awards has the most diverse group of nominees in Emmys history. One step closer to a black Sheldon. I'm gonna go ahead and say it: We solved it." - Kenan Thompson.
- "Well, I'm only rooting for the black people. ... I'm rooting for Leslie Jones, Zazie Beetz and Millie Bobby Brown." -Tracy Morgan
- "The winner is La La Land." -Sandra Oh while presenting Best Director of a Comedy.
- "I want to give some advice to the losers: Carry that rage. Let it fuel everything you do from this night forward. Know that you were cheated, you were robbed, that's a fact. Let that fire burn in your belly until your cold dead body is in a pine box, 6 feet deep, clutching all its Emmys to its chest." -Michael Douglas
- "I want to thank Lorne Michaels for all of the things he's done with me-- for me." -Betty White
- "I want to thank my wife who is in New York tonight. She was very busy, and she said to me, 'I just can't fly across the country and watch you lose.' And I still think you made the right decision." -John Mulaney
- "I don't even believe in God, but I'm gonna thank her tonight." -Thandie Newton