One day after Buckwild star Shain Gandee was found dead, the Kanawha County Sheriff's Department in West Virginia confirmed Tuesday that the MTV reality star died of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning.
Local authorities confirmed that Gandee, along with his uncle David Dwight Gandee and Donald Robert Myers, all had the same cause of death. All three bodies were discovered in a vehicle in Sissonville, W. Va., several hours after Gandee and his uncle had last been seen at 3 a.m. on Sunday.
The three men had reportedly been mudding early Sunday in Gandee's 1984 Ford Bronco when the car got stuck in a mud hole. The exhaust pipe became submerged in the mud — which prevented deadly fumes from escaping the car through the tailpipe and subsequently killed all three men, including 21-year-old Gandee, who was behind the wheel.
"We are shocked and saddened by the terrible news about Shain Gandee, and those involved in this tragic incident," MTV said in a statement on Monday. "At this time, our main concern is for the Gandee family and their friends. Our thoughts and prayers are with them. Shain had a magnetic personality, with a passion for life that touched everyone he met and we will miss him dearly."
Deadline reports that production has since been halted on Season 2 of Buckwild in the wake of Gandee's death and it is unclear if or when it will resume, and how much the late Gandee would be featured in the new episodes shot before his death. Buckwild follows nine carefree and daring friends living in West Virginia.