A clean-cut heartthrob who racked up a handful of TV guest spots before landing his breakthrough role on the family-friendly 7th Heaven
, Watson spent six seasons making teenage girls swoon. He segued to the big screen (Teaching Mrs. Tingle
and the cross-dressing comedy Sorority Boys
, which proved he could be equally dreamy in drag) during his tenure, before leaving the show in 2002 to pursue other projects. His plans came to a halt when he was diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease that same year. After taking time off to tend to his health, Watson returned to the biz and to his small-screen family as a frequent Heaven
guest. In 2006, he landed a role as the title character in ABC's relationship drama What About Brian
. After ABC canceled that show, he landed on another ABC sitcom, Samantha Who?
, which starred Christina Applegate. When Applegate was diagnosed with breast cancer during the show's run, the actress turned to Watson for some advice since he had also dealt with a significant health crisis.Barry Watson Fast Facts:
- Father was a lawyer and mother was a paralegal.
- Did some modeling as a teen; also parked cars at the House of Blues in Los Angeles.
- First professional acting job was a small role in the soap Days of Our Lives.
- Claimed to be the first person to drown on Baywatch in the episode "The Incident."
- Diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease in 2002; helped out as a writer on 7th Heaven while undergoing chemotherapy.
- Barry Watson Relationships:
- Kip Watson - Brother
- Christie - Sister
- Karen Watson - Mother
- Oliver Watson - Son
- Tracy Hutson - Ex-fiancée
- Scott Watson - Brother
- Laura Payne-Gabriel - Ex-wife
- Michael Watson - Father
- Clover Clementyne Watson - Daughter
- Natasha Gregson Wagner - Significant Other
- Felix Watson - Son