Planet Earth 1986 | TV Show Watchlist
A seven-part science series examining forces that have shaped `our ever-changing planet,' as narrator Richard Kiley put it. Produced in association with the National Academy of Sciences, `Earth' covered areas ranging from earthquakes to `nuclear winter,' a (more…)
Premiered: January 22, 1986
Latest Full EpisodesSee all »
In this final stunning episode, a 30 ton whale shark gorges on a school of fish and the unique overhead heli-gimbal camera reveals common dolphins rocketing at more than 30km an hour. Descending into the abyss, deep sea octopus fly with wings and vampire squid use bioluminescence to create an extraordinary colour display. The first ever time-lapse footage taken from 2,000m down captures eels, crabs and giant isopods eating a carcass, completely consuming it within three hours.
Discover the Taiga forest, on the edge of the Arctic - a silent world of stunted conifers. A third of all trees on Earth grow here and during the short summer they produce enough oxygen to change the atmosphere. In California General Sherman, a giant sequoia, is the largest living thing on the planet, ten times the size of a blue whale. The oldest organisms alive are bristlecone pines. At more than 4,000 years old they pre-date the pyramids.
A humpback whale mother and calf embark on an epic journey from tropical coral paradises to storm ravaged polar seas. Newly discovered coral reefs in Indonesia reveal head-butting pygmy seahorses, flashing 'electric' clams and bands of sea kraits, 30-strong, which hunt in packs. Elsewhere plagues of sea urchins fell forests of giant kelp. Huge bull fur seals attack king penguins, who despite their weight disadvantage, put up a spirited defence.
After filming for three years, Planet Earth finally captures the shy Mongolian gazelle. Only a handful of people have witnessed its annual migration. Don't miss the bizarre-looking Tibetan fox, captured on film for the first time. Over six weeks the team follow a pride of 30 lions as they attempt to hunt elephants. Using the latest night vision equipment, the crew film the chaotic battles that ensue at close quarters.
Cast & Details See all »
- Premiered: January 22, 1986
- Rating: None
- User Rating:
- Premise: A seven-part science series examining forces that have shaped `our ever-changing planet,' as narrator Richard Kiley put it. Produced in association with the National Academy of Sciences, `Earth' covered areas ranging from earthquakes to `nuclear winter,' a… (more)
Trending TonightSee all »
By BBC BooksBuy New: $16.95
By BBC Home EntertainmentBuy New: $32.53
By St. Martin's GriffinBuy New: $10.74
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 3. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 4. America's Got Talent: Season 10 Premiere
- 5. Empire: Pilot
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'm Thinking of You All the While
- 7. Wayward Pines: Don't Discuss Your Life Before