PBS's primary public-affairs documentary series, `Frontline' focuses on one (usually timely) topic each program. Overseen since its inception by executive producer David Fanning, it has been honored regularly over the years, winning 34 DuPont-Columbia awar (more…)
Premiered: January 1, 1983
Season 18, Episode 5 Apocalypse!
First Aired: November 22, 1999
An exploration of what the New Testament's final book has to say on the end of the world spans 2500 years of Judeo-Christian thinking on the subject. The Book of Revelation doesn't predict imminent Armageddon. And even if it did, “saying that the kingdom of heaven is at hand is not saying that the end of the world is,” notes program co-writer Michael White, a University of Texas historian. The program charts Judeo-Christian apocalyptic thinking from the destruction of the Temple in Jerusalem in 586 B.C. to David Koresh, and explores end-of-the-world predictions for the years 170, 1260 and 1843, as well as the end of the previous millennium. How about this time? “I don't think so,” White chuckles.
Trending TonightSee all »
By Cherry Red BooksBuy New: $20.70
By The History PressBuy New: $22.45
By Pbs (Direct)Buy New: $24.99
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. The Vampire Diaries: A Bird in a Gilded Cage
- 6. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 7. The Blacklist: The Longevity Initiative