The Walking Dead is known for its scene-stealing villains, but Negan is poised to put all previous antagonists to shame. Comic book fans know the profound impact Negan has on Rick Grimes' (Andrew Lincoln) gang, which is why they were particularly nervous about who producers would cast in the pivotal role.
"It isn't just that, physically, he resembles him," Gimple told Nerdist. "Jeffrey's enthusiasm mirrors the character's enthusiasm. Negan is an extremely enthusiastic character; he's not subtle. There really aren't a lot of half measures. He's a bull in a china shop, and the china shop is the world. And he's not very concerned about what he breaks. I saw Jeffrey's smile and I said, 'Oh, that's Negan's smile.'"
But don't take Gimple's word for it. Here are 13 other reasons Morgan is the perfect Negan.
1. We already know he can play a charismatic sociopath.
2. He's got that whole "machismo thing" down.
3. He can even look badass in a pink bathrobe.
4. He already looks like a leader of a biker gang.
5. He can definitely pull off Negan's misogynistic tendencies.
6. Negan loves power games -- and just look at this passive-aggressive power stance.
7. He seriously gives no f---s.
8. He remains calm in the face of violence.
9. He looks good with a weapon in his hands.
10. He's always been a rebel.
11. He laughs in the face of murder.
12. And just look at the way he already has Rick shaking in his boots.
13. There's really only one word to sum up Morgan as Negan:
The Walking Dead airs Sundays at 9/8c on AMC.