"Glenn and Maggie are classic."
That was Steven Yeun's -- totally accurate -- answer when moderator Chris Hardwick asked the actor why he thought Walking Dead fans were so into the couple (Yeun plays Glenn on the show), at the show's New York Comic Con panel. Whether their relationship will end up being a classic tragedy remains to be seen: Various theories about who will die in the Season 7 premiere have pegged Lauren Cohan's Maggie, Glenn, or possibly even both.
But looking back on the previous six seasons, Yeun nailed it. From the moment they first hooked up in Season 2, Hershel Greene's daughter and former pizza delivery boy Glenn have been the true, living, beating heart of The Walking Dead. In the middle of relentless grimness and death, #Glaggie is a classic romance that never quit, and provided some of the few true moments of happiness the show has broadcast.
So before something horrible happens to somebody (hey, maybe they'll both live happily ever after, right????????????), let's take a look back at 28 moments that made Glenn and Maggie's romance "classic."
1. When they first met, and Maggie proved she was a master of the double entendre...
2. ...And Glenn had the perfect response.
3. Then they got to the pharmacy, and it turned out Maggie was actually the master of the single entendre.
4. Glenn's expression when he realized they weren't just on a supply run? Priceless.
5. In the post-apocalypse, things get real serious, real quick.
6. ...Particularly if you're in love.
7. And, uh, lust.
8. Through it all, they never lost their sense of humor.
9. They never lost their tenderness towards each other.
10. ...Or others.
11. Even when things got bad...
12. ...Like when Lori (Sarah Wayne Callies) died after giving birth...
13. ...Or the Governor (David Morrissey) threatened them...
14. ...They never lost each other.
15. They always came out stronger.
17. Even potentially creepy things, like taking photos of Maggie while she sleeps?
18. They're cuter when it's Glenn doing 'em.
19. Even when they're separated, which happens. A lot.
20. ...They always find each other.
21. And though they've never been formally married...
22. ...They are in their -- and our -- hearts.
23. Glenn needs Maggie.
24. Maggie needs Glenn.
25. We hope this isn't goodbye...
26. But if this is the last time we see Glenn...
27. ...Or the last time we see Maggie...
28. Glenn and Maggie will always be classic.
The Walking Dead returns to AMC on Sunday, October 23 at 9/8c.