With his dreamy blue eyes and sexy smile, Efron became an instant teen heartthrob when he played a high-school basketball star who discovers his love for singing, dancing and an unpopular classmate in Disney's smash 2006 TV-movie High School Musical.
The up-and-coming actor had a similar revelation off screen at age 11, when he began appearing in community theater productions of musicals such as Mame
and The Music Man
. In the 2000s, he began racking up small-screen guest spots, and even had a regular role on the short-lived drama Summerland
. But Efron started realizing his true potential under Disney's tutelage, headlining HSM
and appearing on the station's popular teen series The Suite Life of Zack and Cody
. In 2007, he made a splash as an Elvis-like star in the movie musical Hairspray
. Later in the decade, he turned to dramatic parts in such films as Me and Orson Welles
and 17 Again
.Zac Efron Fast Facts:
- Began acting in community theater when he was 11.
- Duet with Vanessa Hudgens, "Breaking Free" (from High School Musical), jumped from No. 86 to No. 4 on the Billboard Hot 100 in one week, the biggest leap at that point in the chart's history.
- The first new artist to have two songs ("Breaking Free" and "Get'cha Head in the Game") debut simultaneously on the Billboard Hot 100.
- In 2007, Rolling Stone dubbed him "the poster boy for tweenyboppers." In an interview with the magazine at that time, he said he was more interested in acting than singing, and that his High School Musical vocals had been blended with those of another singer.
- He is, however, a serious singer: He sang in the 2007 film version of Hairspray.
- He is clearly serious about acting, though, as he won prominent roles in two 2009 films, 17 Again and Me and Orson Welles.
- His nice-guy reputation comes from his belief that, once he thinks he's someone special, as he told thestar.com, "that's when I know I'm in trouble."
- Zac Efron Relationships:
- David Efron - Father
- Dylan Efron - Brother
- Vanessa Hudgens - Ex-significant Other
- Starla Efron - Mother
- Zac Efron Awards:
- 2007 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture - Nominee
- 2011 People's Choice Awards: Favorite Movie Star Under 25 - Winner
- 2013 People's Choice Awards: Favorite Dramatic Movie Actor - Winner