- Is the youngest of six children.
- Director of the Black Underground Theatre and Arts Association while an undergrad at Dartmouth.
- Worked in advertising before enrolling in film school.
- Received the prestigious Gary Rosenberg Writing Fellowship while earning her MFA at USC.
- Before creating the hit show Grey's Anatomy, wrote the screenplays for films like Introducing Dorothy Dandridge, Crossroads and The Princess Diaries 2: The Royal Engagement.
- Won the first of many NAACP Image Awards in 2007.
- Was inspired by professional crisis manager Judy Smith to create the ABC series Scandal; Smith serves as an executive producer.
- 2007, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Nominee
- 2006, Emmy — Outstanding Drama Series: Nominee
- 2006, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2015, Writers Guild Awards — The Paddy Chayefsky Laurel Award for Television Writing Achievement: Winner
- 2016, Producers Guild Awards — Norman Lear Achievement Award in Television: Winner
- 2013, Directors Guild of America Awards — Diversity Award: Winner
- Emerson Pearl — Daughter
- Harper — Daughter
- Dartmouth College, Hanover, New Hampshire, United States (BA English Literature, 1991); University of Southern California, Los Angeles, California, United States (MFA, 1994)
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Place: Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Birthday: January 13, 1970, Capricorn
- Profession: Executive producer, Writer
Trending TonightSee all »
Everyone's most recent TV obsession was the hot topic on the Emmys red carpet
An Unauthorized Guide to How to Get Away with Murder: The Law School Murder Series Starring Shonda Rhimes
By D. CarterBuy New: $3.95
By Riverdale Avenue BooksBuy New: $19.99
By BLVNP IncorporatedBuy New: $10.95