- Attended a Catholic school in Texas for two years in her early teens before being expelled, then lived with her aunt until she was 17.
- Quit Universidad Iberoamericana to pursue her dream of becoming an actor, an ambition she had harbored since she was a young child watching Sunday matinees with her father.
- Was a major soap star in her native Mexico, but left at the height of her popularity and moved to Los Angeles.
- Awards received in Mexico include a TV Novela Award for Best Newcomer for Nuevo Amancer (1989), a Hispanic Imagen Award for Best Actress for Frida (2003), and an Imagen Foundation's Creative Achievement Award (2003).
- In 2004, became spokeswoman for Avon's makeup and fragrance lines.
- 2003, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Actress: Nominee
- 2007, Emmy — Outstanding Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2002, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 2007, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2012, Goya Awards — Best Leading Actress: Nominee
- 2003, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 2002, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 2003, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 2002, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Actress in a Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- Francois-Henri Pinault — Husband
- Sami Hayek Dominguez — Father
- Edward Atterton — Ex-significant Other
- Valentina Paloma Pinault — Daughter
- Edward Norton — Ex-significant Other
- Richard Anthony Crenna — Ex-fiancé
- Josh Lucas — Ex-significant Other
- Sami Hayek — Brother
- Diana Hayek — Mother
- Mathlide Pinault — Stepdaughter
- Francois Pinault — Stepson
- Attended Universidad Iberoamericana, Mexico City, Mexico; Stella Adler Conservatory, Los Angeles, California, United States
- Birth Name: Salma Hayek-Jiminez
- Birth Place: Coatzacoalcos, Veracruz, Mexico
- Profession: Actor, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
The cast weighs in