Sofer made her first big impression with a brief stint on the daytime drama Loving before taking on the part of savvy record promoter Lois Cerullo on General Hospital, a role that won her a Best Supporting Actress Daytime Emmy. It was here she also met Wally Kurth, her on-screen spouse who became her real-life husband. In the mid-'90s, Sofer made the leap to prime time, guest starring in a number of series before appropriately landing a regular part on the campy evening soap Melrose Place. A string of flop series followed (Oh, Grow Up; The Chronicle; and the sitcom Coupling, which was infamously touted as the next Friends), but though the shows were short-lived, Sofer proved she had staying power. Recurring roles on the sitcom Just Shoot Me! and the dramedy Ed widened her exposure. After taking a brief hiatus to give birth to a daughter with her second husband, TV director Sanford Bookstaver, she returned to the small screen in 2006 with recurring roles in two hits, 24 and Heroes, as the long-suffering wife to two shady characters, a power broker and an aspiring politician, respectively. Sofer is frequently seen on both comedies and dramas, and in 2010, tackled a season-long story arc as Margaret Allison Hart, an attorney with a hidden agenda on NCIS.
- Worked briefly as a model before taking on acting, partly to overcome shyness.
- Won a Daytime Emmy for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series and a Soap Opera Digest Award for Outstanding Younger Actress, both in 1995 for General Hospital.
- Starred in numerous NBC series, including: Ed, Coupling and Just Shoot Me! In 2007 simultaneously guest starred on opposing programs: as Nathan’s wife, Heidi, on Heroes and as Jack’s sister-in-law, Marilyn, on 24.
- Martin Sofer — Father
- Sanford Bookstaver — Husband
- Avalon Leone Bookstaver — Daughter
- Rosabel Rosalind Kurth — Daughter
- Susan Sofer — Mother
- Wally Kurth — Ex-husband
- David Sofer — Brother
- Attended Montclair State College, Montclair, NJ
- Birth Name: Rena Sherel Sofer
- Birth Place: Arcadia, CA
- Birthday: December 2, 1968, Sagittarius
- Profession: Actor
- User Rating:
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Wayward Pines: The Truth
- 2. Celebrity Family Feud: Anthony Anderson vs Toni Braxton and Monica Potter vs Curtis Stone
- 3. The Astronaut Wives Club: Launch
- 4. Beauty and the Beast: Primal Fear
- 5. The Blacklist: Lord Baltimore No. 104
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'll Remember
- 7. Game of Thrones: A Day in the Life