Best known for playing a former Iraqi soldier on Lost, Andrews is actually a Brit of Indian extraction who grew up in London. He made a name for himself in England by appearing in a stage production of My Beautiful Laundrette, and in the films London Kills Me and The Buddha of Suburbia, all penned by writer-director Hanif Kureishi. He garnered worldwide acclaim in 1996 playing Kip, a Sikh who defuses land mines and romances Juliette Binoche in the Oscar-winning The English Patient. Andrews, who prefers to date older women, split from his parent's home at 16 and moved in with his female math teacher, who bore him a son several years later. In 1999, he moved in with actress Barbara Hershey, who is 21 years his senior, after they met on the set of Drowning on Dry Land. When the couple broke up briefly in 2005, Andrews fathered a child with another woman. Although Andrews has been on Lost since 2004, he continues to appear in other high-profile projects, such as the Jodie Foster crime drama The Brave One and Robert Rodriguez's Grindhouse flick Planet Terror.
- First name means "new" in Sanskrit.
- Played in a band as a teenager (lead guitarist and singer).
- Attended Guildhall School of Music & Drama at the same time as Ewan McGregor.
- Nominated for Most Promising Newcomer in 1993 by the Evening Standard Drama Awards (London) for Wild West, a British film in which he played a Pakistani country-western singer.
- First gained attention in the U.S. when he costarred in The English Patient in 1996.
- Met his former girlfriend Barbara Hershey when they costarred in Drowning on Dry Land (1999).
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2006, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- 2005, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Winner
- 1996, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- Nirmala Andrews — Mother
- Stanley Andrews — Father
- Barbara Hershey — Ex-significant Other
- Jaisal — Son
- Elena Eustache — Ex-significant Other
- Naveen Joshua Andrews — Son
- Geraldine Feakins — Ex-significant Other
- Guildhall School of Music & Drama, London, England (1990)
- Birth Name: Naveen William Sidney Andrews
- Birth Place: London, England
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Tangled, Grimm and more!