Born in London but raised in New York, Mischa Barton was discovered while performing at a summer camp and made her professional acting debut at 9 in Tony Kushner's off-Broadway show Slavs!
, starring opposite Marisa Tomei. Broadway appearances followed (Twelve Dreams
, Where the Truth Lies
), as well as a stint on the popular soap All My Children
. Barton made her big-screen debut in the Sundance favorite Lawn Dogs
and subsequently appeared in a smattering of movies both big (The Sixth Sense
, Notting Hill
) and small (Skipped Parts
, Lost and Delirious
). But it was her sexy turn as troubled beach beauty Marissa Cooper on The O.C.
that catapulted Barton to stardom at 17. It also landed the star in the tabloids, where she has been a staple ever since. Barton exited The O.C.
after her character was killed off on the third-season finale. As is the case with many former child stars, the transition to more adult roles has proved difficult, with parts in mostly forgettable films (Assassination of a High School President
), and a short-lived return to TV with the CW fashion drama The Beautiful Life: TBL
, which was cancelled after two low-rated episodes in 2009.Mischa Barton Fast Facts:
- A onetime child model with the Ford Agency.
- Appeared in several episodes of Once and Again as a lesbian teenager.
- Has appeared in commercials for Neutrogena facial-care products.
- Named It Girl 2003 on Entertainment Weekly magazine's It List.
- Designs handbags and launched her own collection in 2008.
- Mischa Barton Relationships:
- Cisco Adler - Ex-significant Other
- Zoe Barton - Sister
- Hania Barton - Sister
- Nuala Barton - Mother
- Richard Barton - Father
- Taylor Locke - Ex-significant Other