- In 1979, left Ohio University four credits short of graduation; some 18 years later, was awarded his undergraduate degree and delivered the school's commencement address.
- Began his broadcast journalism career at WOWK-TV, in Huntington, WV, as a news producer.
- After working at numerous TV stations throughout the 1980s and '90s, was hired as a news anchor for NBC's Today; in 1997, succeeded Bryant Gumbel as its coanchor.
- In 2007, celebrated ten years of co-anchoring NBC's Today.
- In 2008, was the guest of honor at The Friars Club of New York Celebrity Roast, where he was roasted by Al Roker, Katie Couric, Tom Cruise, and others.
- Underwent surgery to repair a separated shoulder after he fell off his bike while trying to avoid a run-in with a deer on Long Island in 2009.
- In addition to covering the 2010 Winter Olympics with his Today co-hosts from Vancouver, Canada, he was also chosen to take part in the Olympic Torch Relay; he carried the torch through the town of Burnaby, British Columbia.
- Briefly replaced Bob Costas as NBC's primetime Olympics host during the 2014 Olympics in Sochi when Costas developed an eye infection.
- Marilyn Kolmer — Mother
- Annette Roque Lauer — Wife
- Art Gentry — Grandfather
- Jack Matthew Lauer — Son
- Nancy Alspaugh — Ex-wife
- Richard Kolmer — Stepfather
- April Lauer Stone — Sister
- Thijs Lauer — Son
- Jay Robert Lauer — Father
- Romy Lauer — Daughter
- Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, United States (BS in Communications, 1997)
- Birth Name: Matthew Todd Lauer
- Birth Place: New York, New York, United States
- Profession: Television newscaster, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
TVGuide.com editors break down theories about what's coming up on The Walking Dead