- In 1979, left Ohio University four credits short of graduation; some 18 years later, was awarded his undergraduate degree and delivered the school's commencement address.
- Began his broadcast journalism career at WOWK-TV, in Huntington, WV, as a news producer.
- After working at numerous TV stations throughout the 1980s and '90s, was hired as a news anchor for NBC's Today; in 1997, succeeded Bryant Gumbel as its coanchor.
- In 2007, celebrated ten years of co-anchoring NBC's Today.
- In 2008, was the guest of honor at The Friars Club of New York Celebrity Roast, where he was roasted by Al Roker, Katie Couric, Tom Cruise, and others.
- Underwent surgery to repair a separated shoulder after he fell off his bike while trying to avoid a run-in with a deer on Long Island in 2009.
- In addition to covering the 2010 Winter Olympics with his Today co-hosts from Vancouver, Canada, he was also chosen to take part in the Olympic Torch Relay; he carried the torch through the town of Burnaby, British Columbia.
- Briefly replaced Bob Costas as NBC's primetime Olympics host during the 2014 Olympics in Sochi when Costas developed an eye infection.
- Annette Roque Lauer — Wife
- Art Gentry — Grandfather
- April Lauer Stone — Sister
- Thijs Lauer — Son
- Jack Matthew Lauer — Son
- Nancy Alspaugh — Ex-wife
- Richard Kolmer — Stepfather
- Marilyn Kolmer — Mother
- Jay Robert Lauer — Father
- Romy Lauer — Daughter
- Ohio University, Athens, Ohio, United States (BS in Communications, 1997)
- Birth Name: Matthew Todd Lauer
- Birth Place: New York, New York, United States
- Profession: Television newscaster, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
We went to Puppy Bowl XIII to speak to the puppies directly about the allegations of certain players illegally eating adult dog food instead of puppy food, the dirtiest fouls to ever stink up the field and so much more