A self-declared "somewhat conservative, gay Republican," Cherry began his career in the late 1980s as Dixie Carter's real-life personal assistant for Designing Women before becoming a writer-producer on the last few seasons of The Golden Girls. Over the years he worked on a handful of other shows, including The Five Mrs. Buchanans, which starred Desperate Housewives' Harriet Sansom Harris and featured a character named Bree. By the 2000s Cherry was struggling again in the television industry, and HBO, FOX, CBS and NBC all passed on producing Desperate Housewives. However, ABC took a chance on the show in 2004 and hit pay dirt. The next year Cherry was named by Time magazine as one of the 100 Most Influential People of 2005.
- Family moved frequently during his childhood, living briefly in Hong Kong and Iran.
- Won $15,000 as a contestant on Dick Clark's game show The $100,000 Pyramid during the late 1980s.
- Wrote for The Golden Girls in the 1990s.
- Pays homage to composer Steven Sondheim by using his songs as episode titles for Desperate Housewives.
- Chose the name Wisteria Lane from The Book of Lists because, he told People magazine, "I wanted a beautiful name for the street. Later I found out that the vine crushes everything around it."
- Was named by Time magazine as one of the 100 Most Influential People of 2005.
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Writing for a Comedy Series: Nominee
- Truman Cherry — Father
- Martha Cherry — Mother
- Attended California State University, Fullerton, CA
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Place: Long Beach, CA
- Birthday: May 22, 1962,
- Profession: Producer, Writer
- User Rating:
Trending TonightSee all »
By "Charlie Rose, Inc."Buy New: $24.95
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. The Voice: Live Finale, Part 2
- 5. Wayward Pines: Where Paradise Is Home
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'm Thinking of You All the While
- 7. The Blacklist: Tom Connolly