- Childhood home was actually on the Tuskegee University campus.
- Grandfather had worked with the college's founder, Booker T. Washington.
- Hoped at one point to become an Episcopal minister.
- Taught himself to play the piano by ear.
- First called the Mystics, his band became the Commodores after the word was picked at random out of a dictionary.
- The Commodores lost all their equipment to van thieves on a 1969 trip to New York.
- The Commodores opened for the Jackson Five on many tours in the early 1970s.
- Richie's compositions rose to the No. 1 position on the U.S. pop singles chart at least once in every year between 1977 and 1985.
- In 1985, composed (with Michael Jackson) and recorded "We Are the World," a recording benefiting African famine relief.
- Received the George and Ira Gershwin Lifetime Achievement Award in 2008.
- Has raised millions of dollars for the benefit of the Breast Cancer Research Foundation.
- In 2010, he took part in a remix of "We Are the World" (featuring the likes of Justin Bieber, Pink and Lady Gaga) for the benefit of those hit by an earthquake in Haiti.
- 1984, Grammy — Producer of the Year, Non-Classical: Winner
- 1985, Grammy — Song of the Year: Winner
- 1984, Grammy — Album of the Year: Winner
- 1985, Oscar — Best Achievement in Music (Original Song): Winner
- 1986, Golden Globe — Best Original Song - Motion Picture: Winner
- 1982, Golden Globe — Best Original Song - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1982, Grammy — Best Pop Vocal Performance - Male: Winner
- 1981, Oscar — Best Achievement in Music (Original Song): Nominee
- 1985, Oscar — Best Achievement in Music (Original Song): Nominee
- 1983, People's Choice Awards — Favorite New Song: Winner
- 1982, People's Choice Awards — Favorite New Song: Winner
- 2012, CMT Music Awards — Collaborative Video of the Year: Nominee
- 2014, CMT Music Awards — CMT Performance of the Year: Winner
- 1987, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Male Musical Performer: Winner
- 1987, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Music Video: Winner
- Lionel Brockman Richie Sr. — Father
- Sofia Richie — Daughter
- Nicole Richie — Daughter
- Brenda Richie — Ex-wife
- Alberta Foster Richie — Mother
- Miles Brockman Richie — Son
- Diane Alexander — Wife
- Tuskegee University, Tuskegee, AL (1974)
Season 19, Episode 1
- Birth Name: Lionel Brockman Richie Jr.
- Birth Place: Tuskegee, AL
- Birthday: June 20, 1949, Gemini
- Profession: Singer, Songwriter, Theatrical producer