- Her close friends and family referred to her by her birth name, Betty.
- Her character in her 1944 film debut, To Have and Have Not, was named Slim, an homage to Nancy Lady "Slim" Keith, wife of director Howard Hawks, who convinced her husband to cast a 19-year-old Bacall opposite the much older Humphrey Bogart.
- In her 1978 autobiography Lauren Bacall: By Myself, claimed "The Look," a facial expression she made famous in her first pairing with Bogart, was the result of her nerves—she had to keep her chin close to her chest and her eyes focused on her costar to keep her head from trembling.
- Costarred with her husband Bogart in three other films prior to his death in 1957—The Big Sleep (1946), Dark Passage (1947) and Key Largo (1948).
- Widowed at 32, moved with her two children to London and then back to the East Coast to be closer to her family while looking for steady work on the New York stage.
- Received her first Oscar nomination in 1996 at the age of 72.
- Her distinctive voice has been featured in commercials for Fancy Feast cat food.
- Made a memorable guest appearance in a 2006 episode of The Sopranos, playing herself as a victim of a random goodie-bag theft by Christopher (Michael Imperioli).
- 1996, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1997, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 0, — :
- 1977, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Actress: Nominee
- 1981, Tony — Actress (Musical): Winner
- 1970, Tony — Actress (Musical): Winner
- 1988, Emmy — Outstanding Informational Special: Nominee
- 1996, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 1980, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 1993, Golden Globe — Cecil B. DeMille Award: Winner
- 1997, Critics' Choice Awards — Lifetime Achievement: Winner
- 1997, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2009, Oscar — Honorary Award: Winner
- 1973, Emmy — Outstanding Single Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- Len Cariou — Ex-significant Other
- Shimon Peres — Cousin
- Frank Sinatra — Ex-significant Other
- Humphrey Bogart — Husband (deceased)
- Leslie Howard Bogart — Daughter
- Natalie Weinstein-Bacal Perske — Mother
- Sam Robards — Son
- Stephen Humphrey Bogart — Son
- Jason Robards — Ex-husband
- William Perske — Father
- American Academy of Dramatic Arts, New York, New York, United States (1941)
- Birth Name: Betty Joan Perske
- Birth Place: Bronx, New York, United States
- Birthday: September 16, 1924, Virgo
- Died: August 12, 2014
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
And one of Judith Light's most embarrassing moments
TCM Greatest Classic Legends: Lauren Bacall (Key Largo / Blood Alley / Dark Passage / Designing Woman)
By Turner Classic MovieBuy New: $8.60
By Charlie RoseBuy New: $24.95
By CreateSpace Independent Publishing PlatformBuy New: $9.99