Though he became a 1980s heartthrob playing a music-loving, dancing high-schooler in Footloose, Kevin Bacon traded in his leading-man aspirations to build a career as a reliable and versatile supporting player. Nuanced character performances in blockbusters such as Apollo 13 and Mystic River kept him working with no lulls, and he expanded his repertoire with work on and off camera in several independent films. A down-to-earth family man (his wife is actress Kyra Sedgwick), Bacon makes his home on the East Coast and plays in a band with his brother.
- Subject of the parlor game Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon, in which a player tries to link any actor to the prolific Bacon in six (or fewer) steps.
- Father, Edmund Bacon, was a celebrated Philadelphia city planner who made the cover of Time magazine in 1964.
- Studied acting at Manning Street Actors Theater in Philadelphia, and Circle in the Square Theater in New York City.
- Won an Obie award in 1982 for his performance in the off-Broadway play Forty Deuce.
- Met his wife, Kyra Sedgwick, when they co-starred in the TV-movie Lemon Sky (1988).
- Made his directorial debut with Losing Chase (1996), starring Sedgwick.
- Daughter Sosie was named Miss Golden Globe 2014.
- Plays in a band, the Bacon Brothers, with his brother, Michael.
- 2010, Critics' Choice Movie Awards — Joel Siegel Award: Winner
- 2009, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie: Nominee
- 2010, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Winner
- 1995, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2009, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Television Movie or Miniseries: Winner
- 2008, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2003, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1995, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 1996, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Actor: Winner
- 1995, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 2005, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Male Lead: Nominee
- 2004, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- Edmund Bacon — Father
- Travis Sedg Bacon — Son
- Michael Bacon — Brother
- Ruth Holmes — Mother
- Sosie Bacon — Daughter
- Kyra Sedgwick — Wife
- Circle in the Square Theatre School, New York, New York, United States
- Birth Name: Kevin Norwood Bacon
- Birth Place: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
- Birthday: July 8, 1958, Cancer
- Profession: Actor, Director
Trending TonightSee all »
Everyone's most recent TV obsession was the hot topic on the Emmys red carpet