- As a girl, appeared in vaudeville act the Gumm Sisters with her siblings (they later changed their name to the Garland Sisters).
- Billed as Judy Garland, she signed with MGM in 1935.
- Paired with Mickey Rooney in 1937's Thoroughbreds Don't Cry for the first of their 10 films together.
- Breakthrough song was "You Made Me Love You," sung to a photo of Clark Gable in The Broadway Melody of 1938.
- Made a legendary Carnegie Hall debut in 1961; Judy at Carnegie Hall, the live album of the event, won five Grammys, including Album of the Year, the first for a female artist and first for a live album.
- Hosted The Judy Garland Show on CBS in 1963-64.
- Final performance took place a week before her death (from an accidental overdose of barbiturates in her London flat) at the Half Note in New York's Greenwich Village.
- In 2001, her rendition of "Over the Rainbow" was named the Greatest Song of the 20th Century in a poll commissioned by the National Endowment for the Arts and the Recording Industry Association of America.
- 1956, Emmy — Best Female Singer: Nominee
- 1955, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy: Winner
- 1954, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1962, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1962, Golden Globe — Cecil B. DeMille Award: Winner
- 1964, Emmy — Outstanding Performance in a Variety or Musical Program: Nominee
- 1961, Grammy — Album of the Year: Winner
- 1961, Grammy — Best Solo Vocal Performance, Female: Winner
- 1961, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1939, Oscar — Special Award: Winner
- 1952, Tony — Special Award: Winner
- 1956, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Foreign Actress: Nominee
- 1962, Emmy — Outstanding Performance in a Variety or Musical Program: Nominee
- Ethel Milne Gumm — Mother
- Joseph Wiley Luft — Son
- David Rose — Ex-husband
- Frank Gumm — Father
- Sid Luft — Ex-husband
- Tyrone Power — Ex-significant Other
- Dorothy Virginia Gumm — Sister
- Mark Herron — Ex-husband
- Mickey Deans — Husband
- Mary Jane Gumm — Sister
- Vincente Minnelli — Ex-husband
- Will Gilmore — Stepfather
- Liza Minnelli — Daughter
- Lorna Luft — Daughter
- Birth Name: Frances Ethel Gumm
- Birth Place: Grand Rapids, MN
- Died: June 22, 1969
- Profession: Actor, Singer
Trending TonightSee all »
Who once caused a "clean up on Aisle 6" at the grocery store?