- Started playing the guitar at age 13. After high school, took time off to practice his songwriting skills while working at a gas station.
- In 2005, made a surprise visit to his high school for his Hall of Fame induction but was not allowed to attend the ceremony for security reasons.
- Received the Hal David Starlight Award at the 2006 Songwriters Hall of Fame Awards.
- In October 2011, was diagnosed with an inflammatory condition in his throat that required surgery. The condition was later complicated and in March 2012, he was forced to cancel his scheduled tour. He recovered and began a world tour in July 2013.
- Is a collector of rare and expensive timepieces.
- 2008, Grammy — Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance: Winner
- 2008, Grammy — Best Male Pop Vocal Performance: Winner
- 2011, CMT Music Awards — CMT Performance of the Year: Nominee
- 2004, Grammy — Best Male Pop Vocal Performance: Winner
- 2004, Grammy — Song of the Year: Winner
- 2002, Grammy — Best Male Pop Vocal Performance: Winner
- 2006, Grammy — Best Pop Vocal Album: Winner
- 2006, Grammy — Best Male Pop Vocal Performance: Winner
- Ben Mayer — Brother
- Jennifer Love Hewitt — Ex-significant Other
- Margaret Mayer — Mother
- Jessica Simpson — Ex-significant Other
- Jennifer Aniston — Ex-significant Other
- Taylor Swift — Ex-significant Other
- Katy Perry — Ex-significant Other
- Annie Hoffman — Grandmother
- Carl Mayer — Brother
- Richard Mayer — Father
- Attended Berklee College of Music, Boston, Massachusetts, United States
- Birth Name: John Clayton Mayer
- Birth Place: Bridgeport, Connecticut, United States
- Profession: Musician, Songwriter
Trending TonightSee all »
Here's how everything changed in "Chapter 6"
By Hal LeonardBuy New: $17.47
By CHERRY LANE MUSIC COMPBuy New: $14.68
By Cherry Lane MusicBuy New: $19.79