- Met future wife Judy Jacklin at a Little League baseball game when they were teenagers. Their first dinner date was at one of his father's restaurants.
- Attended the same high school as the Washington Post's Bob Woodward. They both won eighth-grade medals for citizenship and played on the football team. (Woodward later wrote the grim Belushi biography Wired.)
- Inspired to take up acting and comedy after listening to Bob Newhart comedy records in high school.
- Joined Chicago's Second City improv troupe in 1971.
- Appeared in an off-Broadway production of National Lampoon's Lemmings in 1973 alongside future Saturday Night Live cast members Chevy Chase and Christopher Guest.
- On his 30th birthday in 1979, had the number one movie (National Lampoon's Animal House), the number one album (the Blues Brothers' Briefcase Full of Blues) and the highest rated late-night program (SNL).
- Based his role as a newspaper columnist in Continental Divide (1981) on Mike Royko, who was a friend of his father's.
- At his funeral in Martha's Vineyard, James Taylor sang "That Lonesome Road."
- Actors who have portrayed Belushi on-screen include Michael Chiklis, Eric Siegel and Tyler Labine.
- 1979, Emmy — Outstanding Comedy - Variety or Music Program: Nominee
- 1977, Emmy — Outstanding Continuing or Single Performance by a Supporting Actor in Variety or Music: Nominee
- 1978, Emmy — Outstanding Continuing or Single Performance by a Supporting Actor in Variety or Music: Nominee
- 1977, Emmy — Outstanding Writing in a Comedy-Variety or Music Series: Winner
- Marian Belushi-Miles — Sister
- Agnes Belushi — Mother
- Judith Belushi-Pisano — Wife
- William Belushi — Brother
- Adam Belushi — Father
- Jim Belushi — Brother
- Attended University of Wisconsin at Whitewater, Whitewater, WI; attended College of DuPage, Glen Ellyn, IL
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Name: John Adam Belushi
- Birth Place: Chicago, IL
- Died: March 5, 1982
- Profession: Actor, Comedian, Writer
Trending TonightSee all »
The CW's Riverdale gang is a lot like these Dawson's Creek characters