Like many of his British contemporaries, this dashing actor started out on stage. In fact, his big break came when he unexpectedly replaced Daniel Day-Lewis as Hamlet in the National Theatre's 1989 production. Northam worked on the BBC before making his first big impression stateside as an alluring villain opposite Sandra Bullock in 1995's The Net. While the classically trained player appeared in numerous British period pieces (Emma, The Winslow Boy, An Ideal Husband), he occasionally popped up in big-budget Hollywood fare (Mimic, The Invasion). He also proved he could hide his upper-crust British accent when he played crooner Dean Martin in the TV biopic Martin and Lewis. Being cast in a Jerry Bruckheimer-produced drama sounds like a healthy deal but his part was short-lived when the CBS drama Miami Medical was quickly cancelled.
- Big break came when Daniel Day-Lewis dropped out of the National Theatre's 1989 production of Hamlet; Northam was playing Osric and replaced him.
- Won an Olivier award as Best Promising Newcomer in a 1989 production of The Voysey Inheritance.
- Following numerous roles on British TV, made his U.S. film debut opposite Sandra Bullock in the cyber thriller The Net.
- Better known for his English period roles, he battled giant man-eating insects with Mira Sorvino in 1997's Mimic.
- Was tutored for his role as actor-composer Ivor Novello in Gosford Park by his brother Christopher, a classical pianist.
- Portrayed Sir Thomas More in The Tudors throughout the first and second seasons.
- 2016, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2001, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2002, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Winner
- Liz Moro — Ex-wife
- Rachel Northam — Mother
- Kate Northam — Sister
- Christopher Northam — Brother
- John Northam — Father
- Tim Northam — Brother
- University of London, Royal Halloway College, Egham, Surrey, England (BA, 1983); Bristol Old Vic Theater School, Bristol, England
- Birth Name: Jeremy Philip Northam
- Birth Place: Cambridge, England
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
"We want it to be even better than Season 1," says Chief Jim Hopper