When he made his acting debut as the Wicked Witch of the West in a children's production of The Wizard of Oz directed by his mom, Bamber couldn't have imagined the success he would have playing another iconic role, Captain Lee "Apollo" Adama, in the smash remake of Battlestar Galactica. Although he won a recurring role in a series of Horatio Hornblower TV-movies almost immediately after graduating from the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art and played a small part in the World War II miniseries Band of Brothers, Bamber was a relative unknown when he shot to cult-star status as a conflicted military man serving under his father's command on the Sci-Fi Channel's signature series. After Galactica ended, Bamber returned home to England to star in a British adaptation of Law & Order, called Law & Order: UK. A supporter of animal rights, Bamber posed shirtless in PETA campaign to protest the use of black bear fur in the Queen's Guards ceremonial hats.
- Has five brothers and one sister.
- Lived in Paris for a number of years as a child.
- His mother ran a children's theater group and she cast him in his first role, as the Wicked Witch of the West in a production of The Wizard of Oz.
- Met his wife, Kerry Norton, when they were working on the 2000 thriller The Devil's Tattoo.
- Ran the London Marathon in 2002, finishing in just under three hours.
- Dyed his hair almost black to play Lee Adama in Battlestar Galactica, to match Edward James Olmos' hair, who played his father.
- Named one of TV's Sexiest Men by TV GUIDE in 2006.
- Appeared shirtless in an ad for PETA in 2009.
- Elizabeth Bamber Griffith — Mother
- Isla Elizabeth Angela Griffith — Daughter
- Ava Griffith — Daughter
- Ralph Griffith — Father
- Darcy Griffith — Daughter
- Kerry Norton — Wife
- Anastasia Griffith — Sister
- University of Cambridge, St. John's College, Cambridge, England (1996); London Academy of Music and Dramatic Arts, London, England
- Birth Name: Jamie St. John Bamber Griffith
- Birth Place: Hammersmith, London, England
- Birthday: April 3, 1973, Aries
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
The Pretty Little Liars star and creator recall their wildest -- and sometimes incredilbly uncomfortable -- encounters with fans