This small-screen hunk garnered raves for his Chicago stage work before trying his luck in Hollywood. He made an impression with a recurring part on The Pretender, but every time this Nashville native thought he'd landed a career-making TV role (Philly, Threat Matrix), his hopes were dashed by cancellation. Then Desperate Housewives instantly changed his fate. As plumber Mike Delfino, Denton shot to stardom and was even declared People magazine's "Sexiest Newcomer" — at the tender age of 41. Soon after, the sexy streak continues and he was named one of TV's Sexiest Men by TV GUIDE in 2005. But Denton doesn't just rest on his looks: Tapping into his guitar-playing and singing talents, he joined the Band From TV, a group of television actors that formed a band and donate the profits from their gigs and CDs to the members' favorite charities. Denton is a supporter of several charitable causes, including animal-rescue efforts, environmental protection and mentoring. He's also into sports, and in 2008 he became an investor of a group that purchased a Golden League Baseball Team called the Orange County Flyers (formerly the Fullerton Flyers). The team's home base is in Fullerton, Cal., and Denton takes an active role in the team (when his busy schedule permits) by attending try-outs, selecting players and going to games.
- Briefly dated country singer Deana Carter in high school.
- Was awarded a basketball scholarship to a local junior college prior to his time at the University of Tennessee.
- Sold advertising for radio stations in the Nashville area before making the jump into acting.
- On his upper left arm, he sports a tattoo honoring his late father (it features his dad's initials, birth date, date of death and Navy Rank and serial number).
- Changed his professional name from Jamie to James just before learning that Threat Matrix had been picked up by ABC for the 2003 fall schedule (the short-lived series was canceled on the very same day that his Mike Delfino role on Desperate Housewives was announced to the press).
- Made People's Sexiest Man Alive issue in 2004 and was named one of TV's Sexiest Men by TV GUIDE in 2005.
- Is a guitarist and singer in the Band From TV.
- In 2008, he became an investor in a group that bought the Golden League Baseball team the Orange County Flyers (formerly the Fullerton Flyers).
- Among his charitable causes: supporting animal-rescue efforts by seeking out homes for strays; supporting environmental-protection efforts; being a mentor.
- 2007, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2005, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 2006, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2008, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2004, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Winner
- Erin O'Brien Denton — Wife
- Malin — Daughter
- Sheppard — Son
- University of Tennessee, Knoxville, Tennessee, United States (BS in Advertising)