- Studied to become an opera singer, but a failed audition at the Metropolitan Opera led her to acting.
- Her career took off when she was cast as Magnolia in the road production of Florenz Ziegfeld's Show Boat in 1929.
- Cary Grant called her his favorite actress to work with.
- Following her retirement from films, she devoted much of her time to Republican political causes and Catholic charities.
- Her grave site lists her birth year as 1901, though she was actually born in 1898.
- 1948, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1939, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1931, Oscar — Best Actress: Nominee
- 1936, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1937, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- Joseph John Dunn — Father
- Mary Frances Griffin — Daughter
- Francis Griffin — Husband (deceased)
- Adelaide Antoinette Dunn — Mother
- Charles Dunn — Brother
- Chicago Musical College, Chicago, IL
- Birth Name: Irene Marie Dunn
- Birth Place: Louisville, KY
- Died: September 4, 1990
- Profession: Actor, Singer
Trending TonightSee all »
The CW's Riverdale gang is a lot like these Dawson's Creek characters
By GreenwoodBuy New: $75.00
By Moving Picture ArchiveBuy New: $12.99
By Pop FlixBuy New: $6.98