Although it may have seemed like Ian McShane came out of nowhere when he gained much critical acclaim as the charismatic villain of Deadwood, this British actor already had four decades of experience under his belt. The darkly appealing performer starred on both stage and screen in his homeland, most notably as the title character in the BBC series Lovejoy, and made occasional appearances on American TV, including Roots and a one-year stint on Dallas. But it was his electric performance as criminal mastermind Teddy Bass in 2001's Sexy Beast that garnered McShane worldwide recognition. Three years later he arrived in Deadwood. Married to actress Gwen Humble since 1981, McShane was a grandfather by the time Deadwood earned him his first Emmy nomination in 2005. When the HBO series ended in 2006, McShane became an in-demand voice talent with roles in acclaimed animated features Shrek the Third, Kung Fu Panda and Coraline. He returned to TV in 2009 with the short-lived NBC drama Kings, but his film career clicked again with criminally good roles in Death Race and 44 Inch Chest.
- Son of professional soccer player Harry McShane, who played for Manchester United.
- Made his movie debut in 1962's The Wild and the Willing.
- Played Judas in the acclaimed 1977 Franco Zeffirelli miniseries Jesus of Nazareth.
- Produced, directed and starred in the popular BBC/A&E series Lovejoy.
- Received the Television Critics Association award for Individual Achievement in Drama in 2004 for Deadwood; nominated in the same category in 2005.
- Often does voice-over work for commercials, documentaries and films, including Shrek the Third (2007), Kung Fu Panda (2008) and Coraline (2009).
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2005, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series - Drama: Winner
- 2005, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2006, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series: Nominee
- 2011, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Nominee
- Morgan — Son
- Henry McShane — Father
- Ruth Post — Ex-wife
- Gwen Humble — Wife
- Irene McShane — Mother
- Kate — Daughter
- Suzan Farmer — Ex-wife
- Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, London, England
- Birth Name: Ian McShane
- Birth Place: Blackburn, Lancashire, England
- Birthday: September 29, 1942, Libra
- Profession: Actor
- User Rating:
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 3. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 4. Empire: Pilot
- 5. A.D. The Bible Continues: The First Martyr
- 6. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia
- 7. Jane The Virgin: Chapter Twenty-One