- After her father died when she was 14, she left school to help care for her family.
- Brought to Hollywood by director Mauritz Stiller.
- Poster for her first talkie, Anna Christie, read "Garbo Talks!", which became a catchphrase widely associated with her.
- Retired from acting in 1941 at the age of 36; famously said "I want to be let alone."
- Lived in the same apartment building with Valentina Schlee, wife of Garbo's long-time lover George Schlee, for more than 30 years; the women never spoke to each other.
- Inspired the 1984 film Garbo Talks, about a terminally ill woman whose last wish is to meet Greta Garbo.
- Long rumored to have had an affair with Mercedes de Acosta, letters between the two released after Garbo's death lacked evidence to prove the relationship was anything more than friendly.
- 1937, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1939, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 1930, Oscar — Best Actress: Nominee
- 1954, Oscar — Honorary Award: Winner
- Leopold Stokowski — Ex-significant Other
- George Schlee — Ex-significant Other
- Karl Alfred Gustafsson — Father
- Anna Lovisa Gustafsson — Mother
- Sven Garbo — Brother
- Alva Garbo — Sister
- John Gilbert — Ex-fiancé
- Royal Dramatic Theater Academy, Stockholm, Sweden
- Birth Name: Greta Lovisa Gustafsson
- Birth Place: Stockholm, Sweden
- Birthday: September 18, 1905, Virgo
- Died: April 15, 1990
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Sullivan Stapleton really, really likes a CBS sitcom.
By SkiraBuy New: $19.47
Greta Garbo - The Signature Collection (Anna Christie / Mata Hari / Grand Hotel / Queen Christina / Anna Karenina / Camille / Ninotchka / Garbo...
By Warner Home VideoBuy New: $39.99
By The Robson PressBuy New: $19.71