A winsome ingenue with an impressive stage pedigree, Bergl was understudying a part in a Broadway revival of Ah, Wilderness!
when she landed the fiery lead role in The Rage: Carrie 2
, her first on-screen job. Although she was subsequently offered a number of horror projects, she turned them down in favor of a theater career, which allowed her to showcase her range and her knack for accents, a talent she attributed to her English mother and Irish dad. After a number of TV appearances, including a high-profile part as a human-alien hybrid in the 2002 sci-fi miniseries Taken
, Bergl signed on to Men in Trees
in 2006, her first series-regular role. She later landed a part as an eccentric photographer in the TV cop drama Southlan
d, in addition to taking on the role of Susanna in the New York play Becky Shaw
. She is also active in several charities, including Read Across America, Habitat for Humanity and the Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter Work Project.Emily Bergl Fast Facts:
- Graduated Phi Beta Kappa from Grinnell.
- Was the National Forensic League's Poetry Reading champion in 1993.
- Has been nominated twice for a Saturn Award (presented by the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films), once in 2000 for her role in The Rage: Carrie 2 and again in 2003 for her performance in the Steven Spielberg-produced miniseries Taken.
- Won a FANY Award (from the Friends of New York Theatre) in 1999 for Outstanding Broadway Debut for her work in A Lion in Winter, in which she starred opposite Laurence Fishburne and Stockard Channing.
- Volunteers with Recording for the Blind and Dyslexic, and has helped build houses for charity in Thailand, Malaysia and in the U.S.
- In 2009, took on the role of Susanna in the acclaimed play, Becky Shaw, at New York's Second Stage Theater.
- Emily Bergl Relationships:
- Sam Rockwell - Ex-significant Other
- Richard Bergl - Brother
- Grinnell College, Grinnell, IA (BA in English and Theater, 1997); attended the Eugene O'Neill National Theater Institute, Waterford, CT