- Studied theater with Erwin Piscator at the Dramatic Workshop of the New School for Social Research in New York City, where fellow students included Marlon Brando, Walter Matthau and Tony Curtis.
- Briefly dated Brando while they were both at New School, an experience she recounted in her one-woman show.
- Made her Broadway debut in the 1947 revue Angel in the Wings.
- Understudied Ethel Merman in 1950's Call Me Madam.
- Created the role of Joanne in Stephen Sondheim's 1970 musical, Company, which included her now-famous rendition of "The Ladies Who Lunch."
- Struggled with alcoholism for years as a way of dealing with her stage fright.
- Won a 2002 Tony Award for her one-woman show, Elaine Stritch at Liberty. Two years later, she won an Emmy for the same show when it aired on HBO as a documentary.
- Good friends with gossip columnist Liz Smith; they celebrated their shared birth date together (Stritch was two years younger).
- 1993, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series: Winner
- 2004, Emmy — Outstanding Individual Performance in a Variety or Music Program: Winner
- 1991, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Miniseries or Special: Nominee
- 2007, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 2010, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2009, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1996, Tony — Actress (Play): Nominee
- 1962, Tony — Actress (Musical): Nominee
- 2002, Tony — Special Theatrical Event: Winner
- 2008, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1956, Tony — Actress, Supporting or Featured (Dramatic): Nominee
- 1971, Tony — Actress (Musical): Nominee
- 2013, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- George J. Stritch — Father
- John Bay — Husband (deceased)
- Mildred Stritch — Mother
- New School for Social Research, New York, New York, United States
- Birth Place: Detroit, Michigan, United States
- Died: July 17, 2014
- Profession: Actor, Singer, Writer
Trending TonightSee all »
The Walking Dead returns to a mysterious colony with a lot of guns