- As a teen, worked as a ventriloquist with a doll named Danny.
- Served with the U.S. Army during World War II as part of Stars and Gripes, a GI variety show.
- Made his TV debut on the daytime soap Search for Tomorrow.
- Met Andy Griffith in 1955 when they both appeared on Broadway in the play No Time for Sergeants.
- Won all five of the Emmys he was nominated for.
- Last big-screen credit was the voice of Mayor Turkey Lurkey in Disney's 2005 animated movie Chicken Little.
- A street in his hometown of Morgantown, WV, was renamed Don Knotts Boulevard in his honor.
- 1961, Emmy — Outstanding Performance in a Supporting Role by an Actor or Actress in a Series: Winner
- 1963, Emmy — Outstanding Performance in a Supporting Role by an Actor: Winner
- 1962, Emmy — Outstanding Performance in a Supporting Role by an Actor: Winner
- 1967, Emmy — Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Comedy: Winner
- 1966, Emmy — Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Comedy: Winner
- Karen Knotts — Daughter
- Francey Yarborough — Wife
- Thomas Allen Knotts — Son
- Elsie Knotts — Mother
- Kathryn Metz — Ex-wife
- Lara Lee Szuchna — Ex-wife
- William Jesse Knotts — Father
- Attended University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ; West Virginia University, Morgantown, WV (BA in Speech, 1948)
- Birth Name: Jesse Donald Knotts
- Birth Place: Morgantown, WV
- Died: February 24, 2006
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Carl might be on his way to the Big Pudding Can in the Sky
By Universal Studios Home EntertainmentBuy New: $9.99
Don Knotts 4-Movie Collection (The Apple Dumpling Gang / The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again / Gus / Hot Lead & Cold Feet)
By Walt Disney Studios Home EntertainmentBuy New: $9.29
- Buy New: $2.99