- Began his career as a radio announcer at WRUN in Utica, NY, at the age of 17.
- Hosted American Bandstand from 1956 to '89; the show moved from WFIL in Philadelphia to the ABC network in 1957 and became an after-school staple for a generation of teenagers.
- Introduced numerous recording artists' first TV appearances, including Buddy Holly, James Brown, Stevie Wonder, the Jackson 5 and Madonna.
- Created The American Music Awards in 1973.
- Inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1993.
- After suffering a minor stroke in December 2004, was not able to host the New Year's Rockin' Eve festivities on ABC as he had done the previous 32 years; returned as a cohost in 2005 alongside Ryan Seacrest.
- Had a rose named after him in 2011, and the All-American Rose Selection winner debuted on a Camelot-theme float at the 2011 Tournament of Roses Parade in Pasadena, Cal.
- 1988, Emmy — Outstanding Variety-Music Events Programming: Nominee
- Cindy Clark — Daughter
- Barbara Mallery — Ex-wife
- Bradley Clark — Brother
- Duane Clark — Son
- Loretta Martin — Ex-wife
- Richard Augustus Clark II — Son
- Julia Clark — Mother
- Kari Wigton — Wife
- Richard Augustus Clark — Father
- Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY (1951)
- Birth Name: Richard Wagstaff Clark
- Birth Place: Mount Vernon, NY
- Died: April 18, 2012
- Profession: TV host, Producer
Trending TonightSee all »
Matt Damon dated a Stranger Things star in 2000.
- Buy New: $10.99
By Oxford University PressBuy New: $16.95
By STANDING ROOM ONLYBuy New: $25.34