- After she lost her voice in the late 1970s, doctors informed her she would never sing again, but with help of voice coach Katherine Agresta, she was able to resume her singing career.
- Has a four-octave range.
- Worked as a housekeeper, kennel worker and waitress before she hit it big.
- Was the first female artist to score four Top Five singles from her debut album (1983's She's So Unusual).
- Sang the theme song (credited as Ellen Shaw) to Pee-wee's Playhouse.
- Her 2008 Bring Ya to the Brink CD yielded two singles that topped Billboard's dance music/club play charts.
- That same year she was active in efforts to push for the election of Barack Obama for U.S. president.
- Played a psychic on Bones in 2009.
- Mattel released a Barbie doll of Lauper in 2010.
- Her 2010 Memphis Blues CD, which featured covers of songs by the likes of Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters, topped Billboard's blues charts.
- 1994, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 1984, Grammy — Best New Artist: Winner
- 1995, Emmy — Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series: Winner
- 2013, Tony — Original Score (Music and/or Lyrics) Written for the Theatre: Winner
- 2016, Olivier Awards — Outstanding Achievement in Music: Nominee
- 2013, Grammy — Best Musical Theater Album: Winner
- Fred Lauper — Father
- Catrine Dominique — Mother
- David Thornton — Husband
- Elen Lauper — Sister
- Fred Lauper — Brother
- David Wolff — Ex-significant Other
- Declyn Thornton — Son
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Name: Cynthia Ann Stephanie Lauper
- Birth Place: New York, New York, United States
- Birthday: June 22, 1953, Cancer
- Profession: Singer, Songwriter, Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Everyone's most recent TV obsession was the hot topic on the Emmys red carpet