- Was captain of his high-school football, basketball and track teams.
- While at Yale School of Drama, landed a role in August Wilson's Fences, and later reprised it on Broadway.
- Met future wife Angela Bassett at Yale.
- Made his film debut in 1987's Hamburger Hill.
- Coauthored with his wife Friends: A Love Story, about their relationship and struggle to become parents.
- Made guest appearances on the final season of ER, acting alongside his wife.
- Supporter of the Boys & Girls Clubs of America.
- 1987, Tony — Actor (Featured Role--Play): Nominee
- 1991, Tony — Actor (Play): Nominee
- 2013, Tony — Actor (Featured Role--Play): Winner
- 1999, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Male Lead: Nominee
- Slater Josiah Vance — Son
- Bronwyn Golden Vance — Daughter
- Angela Bassett — Wife
- Cecilie Vance — Sister
- Conroy Vance — Father
- Leslie Vance — Mother
- Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (BA in History, 1982); Yale University, New Haven, CT (MFA in Drama, 1986)
Next On TVSee all »
- Birth Name: Courtney Bernard Vance
- Birth Place: Detroit, MI
- Birthday: March 12, 1960, Pisces
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
The actor discusses what he learned about the famous attorney