- Has been candid about her lesbianism since she started her acting career at 21.
- Thanked her same-sex partner from the podium when she won her first Tony Award.
- Was a founding member of the American Repertory Theatre in Cambridge, MA.
- Is a frequent narrator for the Selected Shorts series on NPR.
- 2005, Tony — Actress (Play): Winner
- 1995, Tony — Actress (Play): Winner
- 1991, Tony — Actress (Play): Nominee
- 2000, Tony — Actress (Play): Nominee
- 2009, Emmy — Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Winner
- 2014, Tony — Actress (Play): Nominee
- 2015, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- 2015, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Guest Actor/Actress in a Comedy Series: Nominee
- Mary O'Connor — Ex-significant Other
- Sarah Paulson — Ex-significant Other
- Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA (BFA in Drama, 1978)
- Birth Place: Paris, TN
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
He demonstrates the bukkehorn, the tagelharpa and the lyre