- Studio backlots became his playground after his mother married Hollywood production manager Jack McEdwards. His step-grandfather was J. Gordon Edwards, a director in the silent-screen era.
- Served in the Coast Guard during World War II.
- Created the Emmy-nominated detective series Peter Gunn (1958-61).
- Although mostly known for comedies, he directed the drama Days of Wine and Roses, about an alcoholic couple; the experience motivated him and the film's star Jack Lemmon to begin alcohol-recovery programs.
- While filming The Pink Panther, he and star Peter Sellers vowed never to work together again. They made up and reteamed on The Party and four more Pink Panther films.
- Adapted and directed his musical-comedy film Victor/Victoria for Broadway; wife Julie Andrews starred in both versions.
- 2003, Oscar — Honorary Award: Winner
- 1982, Oscar — Best Writing (Adapted Screenplay): Nominee
- 1992, Directors Guild of America Awards — Preston Sturges Award: Winner
- 1977, Writers Guild Awards — Adapted Comedy: Winner
- 1961, Directors Guild of America Awards — Outstanding Directorial Achievement in Feature Film: Nominee
- 2002, Writers Guild Awards — The Laurel Award for Screenwriting Achievement: Winner
- 1976, Writers Guild Awards — Original Comedy: Nominee
- 1963, Writers Guild Awards — Comedy: Nominee
- 1958, Writers Guild Awards — Comedy: Nominee
- 1983, Writers Guild Awards — Adapted Comedy: Winner
- 1982, Writers Guild Awards — Original Comedy: Nominee
- 1963, Golden Globe — Best Director - Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1965, Writers Guild Awards — Comedy: Nominee
- 1959, Emmy — Best Writing of a Single Program of a Dramatic Series-Less Than One Hour: Nominee
- 0, — :
- 1959, Emmy — Best Direction of a Single Program of a Dramatic Series-Under One Hour: Nominee
- Amy Edwards — Daughter
- Jack McEdwards — Stepfather
- Jennifer Edwards — Daughter
- Lillian McEdwards — Mother
- Patricia Walker — Ex-wife
- Joanna Lynne Edwards — Daughter
- Geoffrey Edwards — Son
- Donald Crump — Father
- Julie Andrews — Wife
- Emma Walton Hamilton — Stepdaughter
- Birth Name: William Blake Crump
- Birth Place: Tulsa, OK
- Died: December 16, 2010
- Profession: Director, Screenwriter, Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
TVGuide.com editors break down theories about what's coming up on The Walking Dead