Affleck is a talented actor, Oscar-winning screenwriter and promising director who shot to stardom in his twenties after a childhood acting career. In the '80s, the athletic actor appeared in a number of TV movies before making it to the big screen, notably as an anti-Semitic jock in the 1992 teen drama School Ties
, costarring his future collaborator, Matt Damon. In 1995, he appeared in Mallrats
, his first of many Kevin Smith comedies, but 1997 was Affleck's breakthrough year. First, he won raves as a comic-book artist in love with a lesbian in Smith's Chasing Amy
. Then he and Damon cowrote and costarred in the drama Good Will Hunting
, which earned the duo an Oscar for best original screenplay. He also began filming the Academy Award-winning Shakespeare in Love
with Gwyneth Paltrow, with whom he had a much-publicized off-screen relationship. Over the next several years, Affleck took on leading roles in films of all genres---action (Armageddon
), romantic comedy (Forces of Nature
) and drama (Pearl Harbor
)---but it was another tabloid-grabbing romance, this time with Jennifer Lopez, that gained the most notice. Dubbed "Bennifer," the couple were stalked by the paparazzi until 2004, when they finally called it quits after starring together in two poorly received movies (Gigli
and Smith's Jersey Girl
). However, Affleck was able to recycle the "Bennifer" moniker when he began dating his Daredevil
(2003) costar, Jennifer Garner, that same year. The two married in 2005 and have two children. Affleck successfully branched out into directing with the critically acclaimed Gone Baby Gone
(2007), which starred his younger brother, Casey. Then, after taking a couple years off from acting, Affleck returned full-force in 2009, starring in the romantic comedies He's Just Not That Into You
and the political thriller State of Play
.Ben Affleck Fast Facts:
- At 12, appeared in the PBS science series The Voyage of the Mimi, and later played Madeline Kahn's son in an ABC Afterschool Special titled "Wanted: The Perfect Guy."
- Has appeared in several Kevin Smith films, including Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and Jersey Girl.
- Vigorously campaigned for Al Gore and John Kerry and appeared at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.
- Testified before Congress in support of funding medical research for Ataxia-Telangiectasia after befriending a young boy who suffers from the degenerative disease.
- An avid card player who has appeared on Celebrity Poker Showdown.
- Hosted Saturday Night Live four times between 2000 and 2008.
- Ben Affleck Relationships:
- Gwyneth Paltrow - Ex-significant Other
- Seraphina Rose Elizabeth Affleck - Daughter
- Samuel Garner Affleck - Son
- Chris Affleck - Mother
- Jennifer Lopez - Ex-fiancée
- Violet Anne Affleck - Daughter
- Jennifer Garner - Wife
- Indiana August Affleck - Nephew
- Casey Affleck - Brother
- Timothy Affleck - Father
- Ben Affleck Awards:
- 2012 Oscar: Best Motion Picture of the Year - Winner
- 2012 BAFTA Awards: Best Leading Actor - Nominee
- 2013 Golden Globe: Best Director - Motion Picture - Winner
- 2012 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture - Winner
- 2013 César Awards: Best Foreign Film - Winner
- 1997 Oscar: Best Writing (Original Screenplay) - Winner
- 2012 BAFTA Awards: Best Director - Winner
- 1998 Golden Globe: Best Screenplay - Motion Picture - Winner
- 2004 Emmy: Outstanding Reality Program - Nominee
- 1997 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture - Nominee
- 2007 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture - Nominee
- 2005 Emmy: Outstanding Reality Program - Nominee
- 2012 BAFTA Awards: Best Film - Winner
- 1998 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture - Winner
- 2002 Emmy: Outstanding Non-Fiction Program (Reality) - Nominee
- Attended University of Vermont, Burlington, VT; attended Occidental College, Eagle Rock, CA