Affleck is a talented actor, Oscar-winning screenwriter and promising director who shot to stardom in his twenties after a childhood acting career. In the '80s, the athletic actor appeared in a number of TV movies before making it to the big screen, notably as an anti-Semitic jock in the 1992 teen drama School Ties, costarring his future collaborator, Matt Damon. In 1995, he appeared in Mallrats, his first of many Kevin Smith comedies, but 1997 was Affleck's breakthrough year. First, he won raves as a comic-book artist in love with a lesbian in Smith's Chasing Amy. Then he and Damon cowrote and costarred in the drama Good Will Hunting, which earned the duo an Oscar for best original screenplay. He also began filming the Academy Award-winning Shakespeare in Love with Gwyneth Paltrow, with whom he had a much-publicized off-screen relationship. Over the next several years, Affleck took on leading roles in films of all genres---action (Armageddon), romantic comedy (Forces of Nature) and drama (Pearl Harbor)---but it was another tabloid-grabbing romance, this time with Jennifer Lopez, that gained the most notice. Dubbed "Bennifer," the couple were stalked by the paparazzi until 2004, when they finally called it quits after starring together in two poorly received movies (Gigli and Smith's Jersey Girl). However, Affleck was able to recycle the "Bennifer" moniker when he began dating his Daredevil (2003) costar, Jennifer Garner, that same year. The two married in 2005 and have two children. Affleck successfully branched out into directing with the critically acclaimed Gone Baby Gone (2007), which starred his younger brother, Casey. Then, after taking a couple years off from acting, Affleck returned full-force in 2009, starring in the romantic comedies He's Just Not That Into You and Extract and the political thriller State of Play.
- At 12, appeared in the PBS science series The Voyage of the Mimi, and later played Madeline Kahn's son in an ABC Afterschool Special titled "Wanted: The Perfect Guy."
- Has appeared in several Kevin Smith films, including Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and Jersey Girl.
- Vigorously campaigned for Al Gore and John Kerry and appeared at the 2004 Democratic National Convention.
- Testified before Congress in support of funding medical research for Ataxia-Telangiectasia after befriending a young boy who suffers from the degenerative disease.
- An avid card player who has appeared on Celebrity Poker Showdown.
- Hosted Saturday Night Live four times between 2000 and 2008.
- 2012, Oscar — Best Motion Picture of the Year: Winner
- 2012, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2012, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Leading Actor: Nominee
- 0, — :
- 2015, People's Choice Awards — Favorite Humanitarian: Winner
- 2015, Writers Guild Awards — The Valentine Davies Award: Winner
- 2013, Golden Globe — Best Director - Motion Picture: Winner
- 2012, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Film: Winner
- 1998, Golden Globe — Best Screenplay - Motion Picture: Winner
- 1998, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2005, Emmy — Outstanding Reality Program: Nominee
- 1997, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1997, Oscar — Best Writing (Original Screenplay): Winner
- 2007, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2006, Venice Film Festival — Best Actor: Winner
- 2012, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Director: Winner
- 2013, David di Donatello Awards — Best Foreign Film: Nominee
- 2004, Emmy — Outstanding Reality Program: Nominee
- 2002, Emmy — Outstanding Non-Fiction Program (Reality): Nominee
- Violet Anne Affleck — Daughter
- Chris Affleck — Mother
- Jennifer Lopez — Ex-fiancée
- Jennifer Garner — Wife
- Casey Affleck — Brother
- Timothy Affleck — Father
- Gwyneth Paltrow — Ex-significant Other
- Indiana August Affleck — Nephew
- Seraphina Rose Elizabeth Affleck — Daughter
- Samuel Garner Affleck — Son
- Attended University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont, United States; attended Occidental College, Eagle Rock, California, United States
- Birth Name: Benjamin Geza Affleck
- Birth Place: Berkeley, California, United States
- Birthday: August 15, 1972, Leo
- Profession: Actor, Screenwriter, Producer, Director
- User Rating:
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 2. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 3. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 4. Wayward Pines: Where Paradise is Home
- 5. The Voice: Live Finale, Part 2
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'm Thinking of You All the While
- 7. The Blacklist: Tom Connolly