- Before deciding to pursue acting, Mackie studied to become an oil-refinery engineer at a New Orleans trade school.
- While studying at Juilliard, Mackie and his classmates frequently went into the subway on weekends to perform short scenes, poems and songs.
- Shared an Obie Award for Best Ensemble Performance with the cast of Talk in 2002.
- Made his big-screen debut as one of Eminem's rap rivals in the 2002 hip-hop drama 8 Mile.
- Broadway debut came in 2003, when he starred opposite Whoopi Goldberg in a revival of Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Was nominated for Independent Spirit Awards for Best Debut Performance for Brother to Brother (2004) and Best Supporting Male for The Hurt Locker (2009).
- Opened a bar in Brooklyn called NoBar in 2011.
- 2009, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2009, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Supporting Male: Nominee
- 2005, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Debut Performance: Nominee
- Martha G. Mackie — Mother
- Willie Mackie Jr. — Brother
- Linda Nellie — Sister
- Sheletta Chapital — Wife
- Calvin Mackie — Brother
- Maryane Holland — Sister
- Willie Mackie — Father
- The Juilliard School, New York, New York, United States (2001)
- Birth Place: New Orleans, Louisana, United States
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
We went to Puppy Bowl XIII to speak to the puppies directly about the allegations of certain players illegally eating adult dog food instead of puppy food, the dirtiest fouls to ever stink up the field and so much more