- Before deciding to pursue acting, Mackie studied to become an oil-refinery engineer at a New Orleans trade school.
- While studying at Juilliard, Mackie and his classmates frequently went into the subway on weekends to perform short scenes, poems and songs.
- Shared an Obie Award for Best Ensemble Performance with the cast of Talk in 2002.
- Made his big-screen debut as one of Eminem's rap rivals in the 2002 hip-hop drama 8 Mile.
- Broadway debut came in 2003, when he starred opposite Whoopi Goldberg in a revival of Ma Rainey's Black Bottom.
- Was nominated for Independent Spirit Awards for Best Debut Performance for Brother to Brother (2004) and Best Supporting Male for The Hurt Locker (2009).
- Opened a bar in Brooklyn called NoBar in 2011.
- 2009, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2005, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Debut Performance: Nominee
- 2009, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Supporting Male: Nominee
- Sheletta Chapital — Wife
- Martha G. Mackie — Mother
- Willie Mackie Jr. — Brother
- Linda Nellie — Sister
- Calvin Mackie — Brother
- Maryane Holland — Sister
- Willie Mackie — Father
- The Juilliard School, New York, New York, United States (2001)
- Birth Place: New Orleans, Louisana, United States
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
Matt Damon dated a Stranger Things star in 2000.