After performing on stage as a child, the multitalented Hathaway landed a part on the short-lived 1999 sitcom Get Real. But it was her royal role as a quick but klutzy teen in Garry Marshall's The Princess Diaries that turned the young beauty into box-office gold. Shuttling between college, the stage and the big screen, she showed off her effervescent charm in a succession of movies (including a Princess sequel) but abandoned her squeaky-clean image with her critically acclaimed topless turn in 2005's Brokeback Mountain as the wife of a gay cowboy. In 2006's The Devil Wears Prada, she held her own opposite her idol Meryl Streep, and the following year, she portrayed Jane Austen in Becoming Jane. Hathaway's work in Rachel Getting Married in 2008 won her critical praise and a number of award nominations. But while her professional life continued to soar, her personal life faltered when her longtime boyfriend, real-estate developer Raffaello Follieri, was arrested on fraud charges. She bounced back from the traumatic experience, later taking up with actor Adam Shulman, and continuing her Hollywood hot streak with such films as 2010's Valentine's Day and Alice in Wonderland.
- Mother performed in a touring production of Les Misérables.
- As a child, she appeared in productions at New Jersey's prestigious Paper Mill Playhouse, including a revival of Gigi.
- Is a trained soprano; sang at Carnegie Hall in 1999 with the All-Eastern United States High School Honors Chorus.
- Attended the Barrow Group theater company in New York for six months; was the first teenager admitted into its acting program.
- Fell out of her chair while auditioning for The Princess Diaries. Director Garry Marshall hired her on the spot.
- Won the 2002 Clarence Derwent Award honoring "the most promising female performer on the New York metropolitan scene" for her performance in a concert revival of the musical Carnival.
- Considered for the role of Christine in the 2004 film version of The Phantom of the Opera, but was unavailable because of her commitment to The Princess Diaries 2.
- Played Viola in the New York Shakespeare Festival's 2009 production of Twelfth Night.
- Shaved her head to play Fantine in Les Misérables (2012).
- 2013, Critics' Choice Movie Awards — Best Supporting Actress: Winner
- 2013, Critics' Choice Movie Awards — Best Actress in an Action Movie: Nominee
- 2013, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Supporting Actress: Winner
- 2012, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 2009, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Actress: Nominee
- 2009, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Female Lead: Nominee
- 2009, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 2011, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical: Nominee
- 2012, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 2005, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2008, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 2011, Emmy — Outstanding Special Class Program: Nominee
- 2012, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2009, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- 2008, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 2010, Emmy — Outstanding Voice-Over Performance: Winner
- 2013, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Winner
- Jonathan Rosebanks Shulman — Son
- Adam Shulman — Husband
- Gerald Hathaway — Father
- Kate McCauley — Mother
- Raffaello Follieri — Ex-significant Other
- Attended Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, New York, United States; attended New York University, New York, New York, United Statesf
- Birth Name: Anne Jacqueline Hathaway
- Birth Place: Brooklyn, New York, United States
- Profession: Actor
Trending TonightSee all »
New year calls for a clean slate