After performing on stage as a child, the multitalented Hathaway landed a part on the short-lived 1999 sitcom Get Real. But it was her royal role as a quick but klutzy teen in Garry Marshall's The Princess Diaries that turned the young beauty into box-office gold. Shuttling between college, the stage and the big screen, she showed off her effervescent charm in a succession of movies (including a Princess sequel) but abandoned her squeaky-clean image with her critically acclaimed topless turn in 2005's Brokeback Mountain as the wife of a gay cowboy. In 2006's The Devil Wears Prada, she held her own opposite her idol Meryl Streep, and the following year, she portrayed Jane Austen in Becoming Jane. Hathaway's work in Rachel Getting Married in 2008 won her critical praise and a number of award nominations. But while her professional life continued to soar, her personal life faltered when her longtime boyfriend, real-estate developer Raffaello Follieri, was arrested on fraud charges. She bounced back from the traumatic experience, later taking up with actor Adam Shulman, and continuing her Hollywood hot streak with such films as 2010's Valentine's Day and Alice in Wonderland.
- Mother performed in a touring production of Les Miserables.
- As a child, she appeared in productions at New Jersey's prestigious Paper Mill Playhouse, including a revival of Gigi.
- Is a trained soprano; sang at Carnegie Hall in 1999 with the All-Eastern United States High School Honors Chorus.
- Attended the Barrow Group theater company in New York for six months; was the first teenager admitted into its acting program.
- Fell out of her chair while auditioning for The Princess Diaries. Director Garry Marshall hired her on the spot.
- Won the 2002 Clarence Derwent Award honoring "the most promising female performer on the New York metropolitan scene" for her performance in a concert revival of the musical Carnival.
- Considered for the role of Christine in the 2004 film version of The Phantom of the Opera, but was unavailable because of her commitment to The Princess Diaries 2.
- Starred opposite Meryl Streep in the hit 2006 adaptation The Devil Wears Prada.
- 2008, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 2009, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Nominee
- 2008, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role: Nominee
- 2010, Emmy — Outstanding Voice-Over Performance: Winner
- 2005, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2011, Emmy — Outstanding Special Class Program: Nominee
- 2011, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical: Nominee
- 2013, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Winner
- 2012, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 2012, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Winner
- 2012, BAFTA Film Awards — Best Supporting Actress: Winner
- 2012, Screen Actors Guild Awards — Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role: Winner
- Gerald Hathaway — Father
- Kate McCauley — Mother
- Raffaello Follieri — Ex-significant Other
- Adam Shulman — Husband
- Attended Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, NY; attended New York University, New York, NY
- Birth Name: Anne Jacqueline Hathaway
- Birth Place: Brooklyn, NY
- Birthday: November 12, 1982, Scorpio
- Profession: Actor
- User Rating:
Trending TonightSee all »
- 1. Desperate Housewives: Actors Picking up Character Traits
- 2. Grey's Anatomy: Arizona & Alex: The First Flight
- 3. Mistresses: Toni Seduces Dom While Savi's Away
- 4. Wayward Pines: Do Not Discuss Your Life Before
- 5. America's Got Talent: Season 10 Premiere
- 6. The Vampire Diaries: I'm Thinking of You All the While
- 7. Scandal: Randy, Red, Superfreak and Julia