After performing on stage as a child, the multitalented Hathaway landed a part on the short-lived 1999 sitcom Get Real
. But it was her royal role as a quick but klutzy teen in Garry Marshall's The Princess Diaries
that turned the young beauty into box-office gold. Shuttling between college, the stage and the big screen, she showed off her effervescent charm in a succession of movies (including a Princess
sequel) but abandoned her squeaky-clean image with her critically acclaimed topless turn in 2005's Brokeback Mountain
as the wife of a gay cowboy. In 2006's The Devil Wears Prada
, she held her own opposite her idol Meryl Streep, and the following year, she portrayed Jane Austen in Becoming Ja
ne. Hathaway's work in Rachel Getting Married
in 2008 won her critical praise and a number of award nominations. But while her professional life continued to soar, her personal life faltered when her longtime boyfriend, real-estate developer Raffaello Follieri, was arrested on fraud charges. She bounced back from the traumatic experience, later taking up with actor Adam Shulman, and continuing her Hollywood hot streak with such films as 2010's Valentine's Day
and Alice in Wonderland
.Anne Hathaway Fast Facts:
- Mother performed in a touring production of Les Miserables.
- As a child, she appeared in productions at New Jersey's prestigious Paper Mill Playhouse, including a revival of Gigi.
- Is a trained soprano; sang at Carnegie Hall in 1999 with the All-Eastern United States High School Honors Chorus.
- Attended the Barrow Group theater company in New York for six months; was the first teenager admitted into its acting program.
- Fell out of her chair while auditioning for The Princess Diaries. Director Garry Marshall hired her on the spot.
- Won the 2002 Clarence Derwent Award honoring "the most promising female performer on the New York metropolitan scene" for her performance in a concert revival of the musical Carnival.
- Considered for the role of Christine in the 2004 film version of The Phantom of the Opera, but was unavailable because of her commitment to The Princess Diaries 2.
- Starred opposite Meryl Streep in the hit 2006 adaptation The Devil Wears Prada.
- Anne Hathaway Relationships:
- Raffaello Follieri - Ex-significant Other
- Gerald Hathaway - Father
- Kate McCauley - Mother
- Adam Shulman - Husband
- Anne Hathaway Awards:
- 2009 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama - Nominee
- 2008 Oscar: Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role - Nominee
- 2010 Emmy: Outstanding Voice-Over Performance - Winner
- 2005 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture - Nominee
- 2008 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role - Nominee
- 2011 Emmy: Outstanding Special Class Program - Nominee
- 2012 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture - Nominee
- 2011 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Comedy or Musical - Nominee
- 2012 Oscar: Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role - Winner
- 2012 BAFTA Film Awards: Best Supporting Actress - Winner
- 2013 Golden Globe: Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture - Winner
- 2012 Screen Actors Guild Awards: Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role - Winner
- Attended Vassar College, Poughkeepsie, NY; attended New York University, New York, NY