- Studied piano at the Chicago Conservatory, philosophy at Marquette University and acting at Los Angeles' Lee Strasberg Institute.
- Toured as a musician for more than 10 years with a number of different rock bands.
- Posed in Playboy magazine in the 1970s smeared in jelly to promote her rock band Jelly.
- Appeared opposite husband Ed Harris in Places in the Heart (1984), Alamo Bay (1985), Riders of the Purple Sage (1996), Pollock (2000), Just a Dream (2002), Winter Passing (2005) and Gone Baby Gone (2007).
- Served on the national board of NARAL Pro-Choice America, a pro-choice/women's rights organization.
- 1986, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture: Nominee
- 1990, Golden Globe — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television: Winner
- 1985, Oscar — Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Nominee
- 1989, Emmy — Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Special: Nominee
- 1983, Golden Globe — New Star of the Year - Actress: Nominee
- 1989, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Supporting Female: Nominee
- 1998, Independent Spirit Awards — Best Supporting Female: Nominee
- 2008, Critics' Choice Awards — Best Acting Ensemble: Nominee
- Lily Dolores Harris — Daughter
- John Madigan — Father
- Ed Harris — Husband
- Dolores Madigan — Mother
- Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States (BA in Philosophy, 1972)
- Birth Name: Amy Marie Madigan
- Birth Place: Chicago, Illinois, United States
- Profession: Actor, Musician
Trending TonightSee all »
Carl might be on his way to the Big Pudding Can in the Sky