Season 14, Episode 7 Miss America
First Aired: January 27, 2002
Recalling the 80-year history of the Miss America Pageant and what narrator Cherry Jones calls “a barometer of America's shifting ideas of American womanhood.” Included: eight former Miss Americas recall their runway strolls---and the world beyond Atlantic City during their reigns. Also: comments from historians and social observers, including Gloria Steinem, a beauty-pageant contestant herself as a teen. “It was glamorous,” she says, perhaps surprisingly. Also surprising is Miss America 1998 Kate Shindle's view of the swimsuit competition. “It's empowering,” she says. “If you can do that, you can do anything.”
Quiz: What Should You Binge Next on Netflix?
Skip the endless scroll! Find out what you really want to watch.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. The Gifted and Rel Canceled at Fox
- 2. The Magicians Finale Killed Off the One Person We Never Expected
- 3. The Bold Type Cast Wants a Crossover Episode with Good Trouble
- 4. The Perfectionists' Hayley Erin Reveals Just How Alike Taylor and Alison Are
- 5. The Perfectionists Leaned Heavily Into Its Pretty Little Liars Roots This Week
- 6. Sansa Stark Goes Mean Girls on Dany in Our Ridiculous Dolls of Thrones Recap
- 7. Game of Thrones Season 8 Complete Coverage