Misty Upham Misty Upham

The family of late actress Misty Upham, whose body was found in a ravine in Auburn, Wash. on Thursday, has already stated their unhappiness with the way local law enforcement handled Upham's disappearance. But now they're voicing even more displeasure, claiming the August: Osage County actress was killed when she accidentally slipped off an embankment while hiding from the police.

"She did not commit suicide," the Upham family said in a statement on Facebook. "We believe she ran into the wooded area behind her apartment to hide from the police. The area in question has a hidden drop off and evidence suggests that she slipped and fell off of the steep embankment when she tried to get out of a view from the road. She simply did not see the drop-off." 

Upham had gone missing on Oct. 6. Shortly after, her father Charles Upham revealed the actress was bipolar, off her medication and possibly suicidal. It was the fourth time in a year that the police had responded to suicidal calls at the Uphams' and not the first time she had disappeared without warning.

See more stars we've lost this year

These previous experiences, according to the family, are the reason that Upham was scared enough of law enforcement to hide from them. The statement described an incident in which Upham was picked up for an involuntary transport to the ER, alleging that the officers mistreated her by making faces and taunting her. "After Misty arrived at the ER we went to see her and she has a swollen jaw, black eye and scratches and bruises on her shoulder. I asked the ER staff what happened and they said Misty was brought in like that. Misty said she couldn't remember what happened but thats why she feared the police," the statement claimed.

While Auburn Police commander Steve Stocker hasn't commented on the accusations, he defended the police's decision not to classify Upham's disappearance as "missing and endangered person" since, according to Stocker, it didn't fit the criteria. "Our detective was doing everything they could based on the information we had and the tips that we were getting," Stocker told People"We feel that we've done everything we could based on these circumstances, and we're just really sorry that this was the ending." 

The King's County Medical Examiner's Office has determined that Upham died on Oct. 5, but that the "cause and manner of [her] death are pending investigation."