The Biggest Loser contestants are in for a treat next week when celebrity chef Curtis Stone arrives on the ranch -- and he's bringing dessert! TV Guide Magazine has an exclusive healthy dessert recipe straight from Stone himself!
Poached Pear with Red Wine Reduction and Yogurt
To poach the pears:
4 Bosc pears
750 ml bottle shiraz
375 ml (1/2 bottle) port
1 cinnamon stick
5 juniper berries
Zest of 1 orange
2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups natural nonfat Greek yogurt
½ cup toasted almonds, chopped roughly
Ground cinnamon to serve
Mint sprigs to garnish
- Using a vegetable peeler, start from the top of each pear and peel to the bottom in a straight line keeping the shape of the pear intact.
- Once peeled remove the core from the base of each pear with a melon baller, again keeping the shape intact.
- Place the pears into a medium saucepot with high sides and pour all the ingredients for the poaching liquid into the pot.
- Bring the poaching liquid up to a very low simmer and cook the pears for 45 minutes to an hour or until the pears are tender enough that a paring knife inserted into the pears meets little resistance.
- Remove from heat and let pears cool in the liquid.
- Once cool remove 1 ½ cups of the poaching liquid to a small pot and reduce over medium high heat until reduced to a thin syrup consistency, then allow to cool.
- Using a sharp knife cut each pear into quarters from the top down.
- Place the pears onto the center of 4 serving plates, spoon some of the yogurt over the pears and top with the toasted almonds.
- Sprinkle some ground cinnamon over the top, garnish with a sprig of fresh mint and serve.
Subscribe to TV Guide Magazine now!