Amazon-Video Comedy Central Showtime Apple TV+ DC Universe Disney Plus YouTube Premium HBO Max Peacock Netflix Vudu HBO Go Hulu Plus Amazon Prime CBS All Access Verizon

Join or Sign In

Sign in to customize your TV listings

Continue with Facebook Continue with email

By joining TV Guide, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy.

Box Office: Fifty Shades of Grey Dominates, But How Did Kingsman Do?

Sex really does sell

tim.jpg
Tim Surette

More like Fifty Shades of Green! Universal's sexy thriller Fifty Shades of Grey kept audiences tied to their theater chairs with a dominating performance in its first week at the box office this holiday weekend. Through Sunday, the movie spanked the competition with a haul of $81.7 million dollars, according to Box Office Mojo.

The 40 best SNL characters of all time

Watch This Now

Looking for your next binge? TV Guide editors handpick the shows that are actually worth watching and deliver daily recommendations straight to your inbox.

By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.

The number puts it just behind the biggest February opening, which belongs to 2004's Passion of the Christ. Not surprisingly, women flocked to Fifty Shades of Grey, based on the E.L. James novel, with 68 percent of the audience made up of ladies and the other 32 percent likely made up of boyfriends making a Valentine's Day sacrifice.

Second for the weekend was Kingsman: The Secret Service, which hauled in an impressive $35.6 million take. That knocked last week's box-office champ The SpongeBob Squarepants Movie: Sponge Out of Water down to third, with $30.5 million, for a two-week total of $93.7 million.

In fourth was American Sniper with an impressive $16.4 million in its eighth week in release, bringing its cume to over $300 million. Sci-fi flop Jupiter Ascending finished fifth with a disappointing $9.4 million.

14 wildest celebrity wardrobe slip-ups

The fantasy film Seventh Son finished sixth (maybe next week it will finish seventh for maximum pun opportunities) with just over $4.15 million, followed by Paddington, which bear-ly finished in seventh with an even $4.15 million.

Rounding out the Top 10 were The Imitation Game (No. 8, $3.52million), The Wedding Ringer (No. 9, $3.4 million), and Project Almanac (No. 10, $2.73 million).

TODAY'S VIDEO: Orlando Jones takes us in a hilarious tour of Sleepy Hollow