The backdoor pilot for Supernatural's spin-off, Wayward Sisters, was great for a few reasons, but one of our favorite parts was that it actually gave us a good scare. Supernatural has always had a creepy vibe, but it's definitely been a while since the show was truly able to terrify viewers.
In its early years, Supernatural leaned into the horror elements hard, and every episode was packed with an hour of pee-your-pants terror. When the show started focusing on overarching storylines and the "big picture" of the season more than the standalone nature of the previous storytelling, some of that horror went away.
Those episodes are still able to scare the bejesus out of us though, so we've compiled 10 of the scariest episodes of Supernatural below if you want to give yourself some nightmares.
1. "Provenance" (Season 1, Episode 19): Creepy paintings are scary enough on their own, but when they're haunted by the homicidal ghost of a little girl, the horror factor is turned up to 11. Umm, can someone pass the salt?
2. "The Benders" (Season 1, Episode 15): While you'd think one of the scariest episodes of a show called Supernatural would be... well, supernatural, "The Benders" is actually an episode that focuses on humans. The fact that it seems way too possible for a family of hicks to kidnap and hunt human prey is what makes it so terrifying.
3. "Asylum" (Season 1, Episode 9): This episode truly felt like a mini-horror movie come to life. Teenagers trapped in an asylum full of ghosts after staying the night on a dare? That's classic!
4. "Bloody Mary" (Season 1, Episode 5): Every girl said "Bloody Mary" three times in front of the mirror at a slumber party as a kid, but can you imagine if a ghost actually started hunting you down because of it? This episode will make you nervous to look in any reflective surface for weeks!
5. "The Kids Are Alright" (Season 3, Episode 2): These demon children that have horrifying faces and suck your life force out are sure to give you nightmares. As if kids who creepily stare at you weren't scary enough already.
6. "No Exit" (Season 2, Episode 6): What's creepier than a serial killer who tortures and kills young women? The ghost of a serial killer who tortures and kills young women.
7. "Family Remains" (Season 4, Episode 11): Once again, Supernatural proved that humans are way scarier than ghosts. Especially when said humans are rabid incest babies who have been locked in the walls their entire lives.
8. "Playthings" (Season 2, Episode 11): What is with this show and creepy kids?! This episode had a very nice haunted house thing going on, but it also made us forever wary of "imaginary friends."
9. "Roadkill" (Season 2, Episode 16): This episode was terrifying mostly because of the twist that the stranded woman Dean and Sam have been helping all episode is actually a ghost herself, trapped in a cycle of terror. Can you imagine spending eternity being chased by the guy you accidentally ran over with your car?
10: "Everybody Loves a Clown" (Season 2, Episode 2): Killer clowns. Seriously?! If you've got a clown phobia (which is totally normal and we 100-percent support you, Sam) then this is one episode you may want to skip. Didn't these kids ever learn the "stranger danger" thing?
Supernatural airs Thursdays at 8/7c on The CW.
(Full Disclosure: TV Guide is owned by CBS, The CW's parent company.)