To gain listeners for his radio station, Bogart's boss, Middlemass, digs up a 20-year-old murder case and tells Bogart to broadcast the story as a serial. MacKellar is the woman who was exonerated of the charge originally and went on to marry. She has never mentioned the case to her
daughter (Perry), who is engaged to Moore, the son of a well-to-do manufacturer. Now that her past is being relived for a wide audience, the wedding faces possible cancellation. Unable to live with this, MacKellar and her husband, O'Neill, kill themselves. Bogart, strongly backed by his secretary,
Roberts, has been opposed all along to the broadcasts, but Perry, feeling that Middlemass has in effect murdered her parents, goes to the station to kill him. Fortunately, Moore follows her and deflects her aim before she fires a pistol. The two renew their love and Bogart, who resigns, marries
Roberts. This remake of FIVE STAR FINAL (1931) is a boring venture all around. The screenplay is beefed up only when it directly borrows from the original film; otherwise it lacks any real emotion. Bogart is ineffective in this early lead role, heading a cast that is for the most part without much
energy. Audiences caught on to the film's many shortcomings and this lackluster piece was a poor box-office earner.
The Best Kids' Movies on Netflix Right Now
Our gift to all you harried parents: hours of peace and quiet.
Sign up and add shows to get the latest updates about your favorite shows - Start Now
- 1. Mindy Kaling's New Netflix Show Could Fill the One Day at a Time Void in Your Life
- 2. Last Man Standing Exclusive: Eve Gets Tough with the Baxters' Foreign Exchange Student
- 3. Hanna Review: Now This Is How You Turn a Movie Into a TV Series
- 4. Lizzy Caplan and Elsie Fisher Will Step Into a Stephen King Classic in Castle Rock Season 2
- 5. Everything to Know About The Sopranos Movie, Newark
- 6. Jane the Virgin Boss Previews Michael's Return: 'It Affects the Whole Season'
- 7. One Day at a Time and Sex Education Are Helping Immigrants and Their Queer Kids Bridge the Generational Gap